Have you heard?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Have any of you herpers heard that the State is considering putting the spotted turtle on the Threatened list? I heard that from a good friend of mine.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, I will look into this I have not heard that which is suprising. I've heard the boxie may go on it as well. I think this has more to do with trying to come up with stiffer penalties for illegal collection of spotteds vs. them actually being threatened. In no way shape or form are spotteds rare....but collectors pick them off like blueberries, so hopefully this will increase the fines for doing so.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
last fall Guy ,Jess and I were finding box turtles out the wazoo,their definitely not endangered and neither are spotteds.I agree with Dragon,it's a tool to get more money but it's also a potential tool to protect/condemn land so it can't be developed.I like protecting land but I hate the lying and strong arm tactics they use to do it.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
last fall Guy ,Jess and I were finding box turtles out the wazoo,their definitely not endangered and neither are spotteds.I agree with Dragon,it's a tool to get more money but it's also a potential tool to protect/condemn land so it can't be developed.I like protecting land but I hate the lying and strong arm tactics they use to do it.
Al

Thought-provoking posts from you and Dragoncjo. I'm curious to see what you find out.

Glo

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I am amazed at the amount of dead turtles on the road down in Salem Count alot of them are BIG and usually on the side of the road dead not in the middle.I hope people are moving them off to the side and not intentionally hitting them, I am not a herp myself and couldnt id any of them, some of the bigger ones have thick tails like a snapping turtle some of the other i dunno. I dont wanna post dead turtle pics, but if anyone is down here you will be amazed

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
both of those species are abundant in places, but bear in mind they're also totally absent in some places where they were once just as abundant. i think its great to see someone might actually take steps to protect an animal BEFORE its on the brink of annihilation.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I looked into this a little and I've heard nothing about either species going on the T/E list.....though I wish they would put them there do to the extra buffers wetlands get when a T/E species is present.