Headlights

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On the borderline of Electronic Insanity so I am going with it. :D

My plastic headlights were glazing over so I watched a few videos online and worked on sanding them today. I am not kidding when I say in exactly 15 minutes I had the first one looking like glass. It is very easy if you have the elbow grease to sand that long.

Before

IMG_0707a.jpg

IMG_0710a.jpg

And after.

IMG_0713a.jpg

Just make sure you tape the paint. I didn't and hit one spot. No worse than piney pinstripes so I am good with that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I used my electric drill at low speed and a spray bottle of water, then finished off with light compound.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The video shows the man starting with 400/600 but that is way to course. I started with 1500 and in no time it worked well. Then I went to 2000 and finished. However, if I ever have to do them again I am going to try 3000 because even with 2000 you can see sanding lines if you look closely.

I found that by using the garden hose on a slight spray constantly, it worked really well washing the plastic off and keeping the sandpaper clean. A spray bottle requires constant pumping to do the same.

The video showed the use of clear coat at the end but I found that waxing them looked pretty good. That may not last so time will tell.

Last edited:

rc911

Scout
Apr 23, 2015
Cream Ridge, NJ
On the borderline of Electronic Insanity so I am going with it. :D

My plastic headlights were glazing over so I watched a few videos online and worked on sanding them today. I am not kidding when I say in exactly 15 minutes I had the first one looking like glass. It is very easy if you have the elbow grease to sand that long.

Before

View attachment 11697

View attachment 11698

And after.

View attachment 11699

Just make sure you tape the paint. I didn't and hit one spot. No worse than piney pinstripes so I am good with that.
There is a commercial product to do the same thing with very little elbow grease. I was told that it is nothing more than brake fluid but I don't know for sure as I've never tried it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a commercial product to do the same thing with very little elbow grease. I was told that it is nothing more than brake fluid but I don't know for sure as I've never tried it.

If it is brake fluid you run the risk of getting that on the paint. Years ago I had paint come off when brake fluid was left on it.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I have used several versions of those products only to have the haze return. I usually replace the assemblies with a brand from amazon that i have good luck with snd are reasonable in price and include all bulbs, etc. They are called eagle eye i believe, i will verify when i’m im the garage in a bit.

Reactions: old jersey girl

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I do this to my wife's car several times a year-- at first the result looks great but in a month or so the haze returns. The problem is, by removing the outer layer of the polycarbonate lens, you've taken away the UV protection.

Reactions: Boyd