Heat and Photos

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I went out to the hot burn yesterday afternoon. It was so humid I could only go 1/4 mile from the car. Awful, nothing made me cool, the humidity would not allow it.
Found this among my plant specimens. That's a hat pin I use to manipulate things.
1722522376986.png

Reactions: John

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I got in my car ready to leave, and this fellow came into the puddle. I let him bathe about 5 minutes. Could not get a good shot.
I took a similar photo of a bird at Marble Spung back in Sept 2019. I ID'd as a Solitary Sandpiper. They may just look slightly different, but the other species didn't have the same look. What goes; I have five bird guide books , but only one for trees.

Solitary Sandpiper (6).JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Despite the heat, I can't seem to stay out of that hot burn area. It's really fascinating to be there because right now it's so open, and elemental at this stage. This below is a liverwort that I usually see after hot fire in the pines. It's in the wetland margins, mostly around cedar trees.

1722703495417.png

Reactions: stiltzkin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is a small clearing cose to to a deer stand that took a big hit from the fire. There are several plants growing here that are not Pine Barren denizens. The seeds were likely always there, but they needed a jump start from the fire.
clearing.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here is an intermittent stream. The fire went into the stream and burned all woody material, but stopped before the other side. I think this fire did not have the wind behind it, but since it was in a drought, it took it's time and consumed everything.

IMG_2118.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found this too, in the clearing. A search tells me this may be redroot pigweed, definitely nowhere near the pines. Now I think the clearing was made into a bait pile for the hunter, and he brought in a bunch of bait like sweet pototoes and corn that had a lot of barnyard seeds. I'm not onboard with that practice.

1722705287388.png