Help with tavern on White Horse Pike

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I probably enjoy hitting dive bars in the pines as much as I enjoy exploring the trails and historical sites. Anyway, last summer I had to take a series of detours from Green Bank to Shamong when the bridges were out. I ended up on rt 3o and think I was south of 206. I passed a really neat looking tavern on the right side of rt 30 while heading north, but had little time to stop. The place looked like an old white colonial house with a field in the backyard and surrounding it. It also had a small dirt parking lot and a bar sign. Can anyone help with the name and/or location of this place? Im looking to check it out in the near future. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Russell's Pic II is a bar that fits your description, but it's about 5 miles north of Rte #206. If you're looking for a dive bar, this one will be right up your alley. ;)

Pic II

John-

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Thanks for the link. I remember that name and the picture says it all. I also now remember having to turn around after the bar to go back to 206. Thanks a lot guys. I'll carve your names in the stall. lol

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Russells Pic II

Russells sits on a slight hill on the White Horse Pike in Hammonton NJ. The bar looks like an old farm house; complete with a porch and red shutters. As soon as we pulled in the parking lot, the headlights were cast upon a sign that read "If god is with us we can not fail." After a quick photo with the unusual sign, we opened the screen door, prepared for the worst, and hoped that what the sign read was true.
It was a tiny little bar that smelled like stale beer and popcorn. There were two men that sat across the bar (one of the men looked like Harry from the movie "Harry and the Hendersons"), a bartender that probably weighed 95 pounds soaking wet, and a shady guy in his mid- twenties that was reading a book by the popcorn machine. The bartender approached us with a smile, which was a nice change from the scowls we were getting from the men across the bar. We ordered $2.75 miller lite bottles, and just as I suspected they were ice cold. I sat and smiled as I looked around the bar and admired the history it discretely displayed. Old Budweiser signs with pictures of Clydesdale horses hung on the wall, autographed sports jerseys were on display, and old personal photos in frames adorned the walls. It was an interesting combination of things to be hanging on the wall, but that's what made me smile. It let me know that the owner of that bar took pride in a place that people rarely payed any mind to.
The smell of butter that lingered in the air quickly convinced us that we wanted popcorn, and that's when we found out why the shady man with the book was sitting by the popcorn machine; he was the popcorn scooper. I wondered how someone could get a job as a popcorn scooper, but I decided that it wasn't a good idea to ask. As my friends and I sat and enjoyed the popcorn, the screen door creaked and a man in his 70's took his seat at the bar. Without saying a word the bartender reached in the cooler, pulled out a Pabst blue ribbon, cracked it open, and placed it on the bar for the man. This of course prompted me to ask the bartender "how did you know what he wanted?" I knew the answer was that the old dude was a raging alcoholic, and that he probably spent half of his life sleeping on the bar. However, I kept my mouth closed and smiled when she said that "you just get to know the locals".
I took advantage of the mention of locals and I asked the bartender if she knew of any other local bars that we could visit. Appartently this is the key to making friends in small local bars. Suddenly the Harry and the Henderson's guy, his friend and the popcorn scooper were telling my friends and I where to go and where to avoid. With our new found knowledge we thanked them, and decided it was time to visit the next bar. As we were getting in the car Harry and his friend were smoking a ciggarette on the porch. "Harry" suggested a few more bars we could visit, and also told us to be safe and watch our speed on the pike because the cops are vultures". I waved to Harry and his friend as we pulled out of the parking lot. I thought back to an hour before when I was standing outside of the bar looking for all of the exits. I thought back to when I walked in to the bar and immediatly judged "Harry" because he looked like someone that didnt want us there. It made me sad to know that I judged a person and a place based on looks. It made me realize that this bar probably doesnt generate a lot of buisness due to the judgements people make. It's sad that people are missing out on the simple pleasures of popcorn and pointless conversation, because of a judgement they've made based on an unpaved parking lot, and a crooked sign. I plan on returning to Russells Pic II, maybe the bartender will remember my drink, maybe she wont. One thing that I will always remember is that the cops on the pike are vultures, and you should never judge a book by its cover.I waved to Harry and his friend as we pulled out of the parking lot. I thought back to an hour before when I was standing outside of the bar looking for all of the exits. I thought back to when I walked in to the bar and immediatly judged "Harry" because he looked like someone that didnt want us there. It made me sad to know that I judged a person and a place based on looks. It made me realize that this bar probably doesnt generate a lot of buisness due to the judgements people make. It's sad that people are missing out on the simple pleasures of popcorn and pointless conversation, because of a judgement they've made based on an unpaved parking lot, and a crooked sign. I plan on returning to Russells Pic II, maybe the bartender will remember my drink, maybe she wont. One thing that I will always remember is that the cops on the pike are vultures, and you should never judge a book by its cover.

This came from the Dive Drive
http://thedivedrive.blogspot.com/se...d-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=8

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Thanks for the story, Dogg. I went to the link you provided and read most of it. Only thing I'd point out is when the writer mentions the "no colors" sign at the Town Tavern it seems they thought it was a race thing when in fact it is directed at bikers and other gangs who wear patches and colors. I did make it out to Pic IIs Saturday, as well as the Silver Fox Inn and Green Bank Inn on the way home. Had a great day and met nothing but friendly people. Definately was worth my trip from Bamber Lake.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Thanks for the story, Dogg. I went to the link you provided and read most of it. Only thing I'd point out is when the writer mentions the "no colors" sign at the Town Tavern it seems they thought it was a race thing when in fact it is directed at bikers and other gangs who wear patches and colors. I did make it out to Pic IIs Saturday, as well as the Silver Fox Inn and Green Bank Inn on the way home. Had a great day and met nothing but friendly people. Definately was worth my trip from Bamber Lake.
Yep The No Colors Tag Is used in some bars and Like you said it is for Bikers aka Warlocks, Pagans, Wheels of soul,The Breed and The Ghetto Riders .Pauls tavern on the WHP in Lindenwold has on theres or use to