Helpful Books

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
Hello Group
In Thursday's (3/7/02) Home & Garden section of the OC Obserser, there was an article "Pine Barrens' Top Picks". They portrayed Howard P. Boyd and his newest book called "Wildflowers of the Pine Barrens of New Jersey". That day I was over to the Ocean County Historical Society paying my membership dues and luckily I purchased the last copy of the book. I have thumbed thru his books before which were borrowed from the library but now I can say, I own one. It is pretty cool the way it is written because, it is small enough to put in your pocket or backpack and take with you while exploring. Every description has the picture right next to it. So, even a newcomer like myself will know what a Broom-Crowberry is.

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
This is funny, replying to my own message but I wanted to mention a couple of other books. I had picked up several books from the library and one of them was "Scene, Yesterday" by Frank Wainwright. They used to publish it in the Manchester Advance Nickel News. Many interesting stories here about the people who used to live in the Pines. Not only did I come across stories of my husband's ancestors but of other people who's names I recognized. Frank lived to be 100 yrs old and quite a remarkable memory of days gone by. As you sit back and read, it really puts you back into time to those places we come across in the Pines. Also, another good little book about about History and Folklore of the NJ Pinelands called "Pineylore" by Lillian Arnold Lopez. I also took out "Smugglers' Woods by Arthur D. Pierce which was recommended but haven't read yet due to the fact that all 9 books that were on hold came in at the same time. (I will get to it though).
Genie.