Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I hope nobody here got an HD DVD player for Christmas... :bang:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008014_928006.htm

The battle to determine the future of the DVD may be coming to an end. In a blow to Toshiba's HD DVD movie format, Warner Bros. Entertainment announced on Jan. 4 that it plans to begin releasing high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format backed by Sony and dozens of consumer electronics and PC industry titans.

Warner's decision could consign the HD DVD format to the dustbin of consumer technologies that delivered on their promise but failed to secure the backing of key decision-makers. Warner had been considered a linchpin in the race for dominance between Blu-ray and HD DVD. The studio has the largest library of movies in the industry and consistently releases many of the biggest hits annually.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I take it you bought the Toshiba's HD DVD movie format?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Oh no, not me! I'm in no rush to get into high def disks at this point. I have a very large collection of regular DVD's which I buy cheap when they're on sale. It's going to take several years before we can do that with either high def format. For the time being, my standard definition DVD's look great on my plasma TV :)

But there were some big sales on HD-DVD players during the Christmas season, so *somebody* is banging their head against the wall right now...