High Spots Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never fully explored the stone hills along Carranza so today I decided to al least walk the complete top of them. And while there I wanted to check something out I saw on lidar.

On 2/12/2005 I first visited the large stones on the top of the hill so I visited them again today. Just wanted to see if they were still there. :) You never know anymore.

IMG_7324a.jpg

IMG_7332a.jpg

Between the hills on lidar you can see this rectangle shaped disturbance and I wanted to see if it was an old bog or a property with possible stones. The yellow arrows point to it.

aerial.jpg

The path there was really nice and I will be retuning to explore this area more.

IMG_7328a.jpg

IMG_7340a.jpg

IMG_7334a.jpg

IMG_7335a.jpg

Reaching the first corner I found that the south ditch ended and the eastern ditch was non existent. It just ended right here.

IMG_7336a.jpg

Along the length of the southern edge had a few ditches running north.

IMG_7337a.jpg

At the south western corner the ditch headed much further south and was the water source. You can see it at the very bottom of the lidar map above.

IMG_7339a.jpg

And at the north east corner the ditch ended like the other.

I also visited another location earlier in the day. Scott, if you go to the location where you were sitting when I met you a few years back, if you walk right along the tree line to the clearing nearby and continue straight, a hunter has cleared a path through the briers to his hunting tent.

The clearing is right ahead and you Scott would be sitting in the distance. This was not there 2 years ago.

IMG_7314a.jpg

This is a perfect spot you you to check out for a future hunting location after shotgun season. Sit there with your sound machine and let it rip.

IMG_7312a.jpg

IMG_7313a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, I would have to say it was or was going to be an old bog. You can see the ditches on the 1930 aerials and they look old then. I would bet they are from much earlier than that.

Reactions: stiltzkin