Hiking in Pygmy Pines?

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Is hiking and driving in the Pygmy Pines near Warren Grove permitted? I'm referring to the area outside the bombing range facility. I was driving around there today, but I was wondering if I was trespassing on government land.

If it isn't allowed, is there another area of the Pygmy Pines where I could take some folks for hiking.

Thanks for whatever information people can share.
Tricia

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes it is permitted. This would be the area on either side of 539. Toward the northern/west end you can get back further before hitting Federal land trespassing signs. Obviously you cannot hike on the Federal land. The other side of the road can be a bit tougher going for hiking.

You can also hike the pine plains off of route 72 near coyle feild. This is also a great hiking area but the trees are a little taller probably due to lack of fire and controlled burns. It is still very much the plains though and has the rolling hills and sugar sand,

Have fun,

Jeff

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for the reassurance. I like the look of that area better than the area near Coyle Fields. In any case, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't trespassing.

A couple of weeks back, I inadvertantly took the group onto private land and we ran into the owner -- who was not pleased. So I want to make sure I don't do that again.....

Tricia

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The area behind Coyle Field is interesting. And you have a nice spot to surprise your group with. See if they can figure out what it was used for.

coyle.jpg

Guy

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Well now that is an interesting picture. I'll let you know what the group consensus is after we check it out.

Tricia

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has holes in it where someone has been shooting at it. But it is more than that I believe. It dates back to the era when Coyle Field was used by the military in WW2.

I say it was used to protect something. Right beside it there is a large dug out area where something was located at that needed protection. Either a piece of equipment or a building. Maybe a guard house. It may have been there to protect from the blast of a plane engine when it was started up during maintenance, or to protect something in the event the enemy did get to that location. Or, there could have been something next to it in the hole that enabled them to get on top of it to look around and to quickly get behind it in the event that was necessary. I have been pondering that question for 30 years.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is interesting Guy. When I came across it a long time ago, I figured it was a training device for paratroopers.

Jeff

Another interesting thought that could be correct. It would be nice to really know. I actually contacted a man who had written about Coyle Field being used during WW2, but I received an answer that did not fit my question.

His writings even mention Coyle Field was used as a rocket range which would bolster my theory that it was used behind a rocket and held in place by whatever was in the hole next to it. The cement would block the thrust or the flying debris. Who knows...

http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/thesis_chapter7.html

Guy

yellowdog69

Oct 11, 2006
Another interesting thought that could be correct. It would be nice to really know. I actually contacted a man who had written about Coyle Field being used during WW2, but I received an answer that did not fit my question.

His writings even mention Coyle Field was used as a rocket range which would bolster my theory that it was used behind a rocket and held in place by whatever was in the hole next to it. The cement would block the thrust or the flying debris. Who knows...

http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/thesis_chapter7.html

Guy

i remember seeing it and thinking it was the monolith from 1801 a pines odessey:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, we just need to contact Pete and ask him what that one was used for. Then the riddle will be solved.

Guy

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
I spent two hours yesterday driving through the area behind Coyle Field trying to find this mystery object without any success. All I have for my efforts are more scratches on my jeep...... ;)

I came in from Red Road, Baptist Road, and Long Causeway Road. I didn't want to try and come in from Rt 72 because of all the signs that said to stay our. Perhaps I didn't get close enough to Coyle Field?

Would it be cheating if you gave me the GPS coordinates for it?

Patricia

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
OK -- If that's the way you want to be. :)

My hiking group is going to be tackling the area on Monday morning.
We got permission to come in through Coyle Field and park there. (It only took three phone calls to get somebody to say it was OK. They apparently are taking this homeland security stuff seriously -- which is a good thing.)

In any case assuming the area isn't flooded with all this rain we should have a good hike and you never know, we might just stumble upon the mysterious structure. If we do, I'll let you know.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are in the center of the landing strip, walk to the back down the middle road to the first intersection. Then see who can find it first. Consider it a challange for your group. Much better than knowing exactly where it is.

Then see who can climb it.

main.php

Guy

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
What a great picture!

I'm not sure about climbing it though -- everyone in this hiking group is in their 60s. Although I have one die hard marine who is always pushing me to make my hikes 10 miles long instead of 5 miles. He might be up for the challenge! I'll let you know.