Hiking or Football and Beer?

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I worked hard all day... yes some of us have to work Sundays... *&^%$#@ Anyway I worked so hard I couldnt decide on a hike or football and BEER... So I chose both. You all gave me some great info on wetlands, but i got home at 3pm so I had to be quick. So I went back to my true love The FR Mts. ...View attachment 4070
038.JPG
037.JPG
036.JPG
035.JPG
034.JPG
033.JPG
032.JPG
031.JPG
View attachment 4079View attachment 4079
059.JPG
Well here are some pics from a great day... Enjoy Serengetti to the south. FR Mts to the east. Bloody Ridge to the west(for those of you who know it)I know it all to well. West of 539 near Webbs Mill. and Lakehurst to the north... Oh and football and BEER enjoy :)

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Is that really called Bloody Ridge. I think there is a road there called Bloody Ridge Rd. I just like to call the entire "mountain range" Bloody Ridge because I have bushwhacked there before and it fits...hahaha
Teegate, your pics of "Preacher's Hill" lured me to this great site on google images. I love sharing these pics. Every one of them is taken from Preacher Hill. There are alot of views on the back of the hill as well as the "Serengetti". Couldn't get to the back of the hill last time because I was pressed for time. As always...hahaha But like Spung-Man say "you know us intrepid souls" We will find it eventually.
Please tell me how to mark this on a NJPB map to share this awesome spot with everyone. Views are even more incredible when you are there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The pointer on NJPB Maps os always at Batsto. So when you launch the maps grab the pointer and move it towards the location you want it to be at. You may have to drop it a few times as the map moves towards the location. Once you get where you want to be, pick up the pointer and drop it one last time so the pointer is centered on the page. It is important that you do this. Then go to the URL area of your browser (http://xxxxxx) and copy the text and paste it into your post. It is important you do not move the map after dropping the pointer for the last time. Once you move the map and the pointer is not centered you will copy the wrong location even though the pointer is still where you think it should be.

And also remember, this site has a policy against giving away sensitive locations that may cause individuals to go there and damage them or steal something. So be selective on the locations you give away. Your location is fine.

Guy

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.86838686913722&lng=-74.31582696708676&z=15&type=hybrid&gpx=
********* SORRY GUYS FIRST POST PIN IS WRONG THIS IS CORRECT LOCATION ************
There are all trails back there and, as you can see from pics, views in every direction. Really nice spot. Recommend it to anyone. I hiked in from Bamber Lake on trail along Chamberlain Branch. 3 miles in. 6 round trip. Nice hike. Can drive right up to T-intersection at clearing on Wrights Road and walk in from there for people who prefer to drive. Hope you all get the chance to get out there. Enjoy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Most likely you moved the map after dropping the pin.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
The views there are awesome, but just so you guys know that last pic wasn't taken up there. So don't go there expecting miracles.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
It was a great day. I was out west of 539.
Bobpbx and Teegate,
I meant to ask you guys about that day. Were you guys directly across from Webbs Mill, in those hills around Bloody Ridge Pass, or further south down around Franklin Parker?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was at Warren Grove, but I was also here for awhile. This is the start of Cedar Creek. Monster Trucks have been riding in here. I was looking at plant species.

Webbs Plants.JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
hmmm, there has been discussion in the past about the origins of the name "bloody ridge" . you mentioned "bloody ridge to the west" and it got me thinking that maybe it was named bloody ridge because the sun setting behind it (when viewing from the east) could make it look like, well, a bloody ridge. Perhaps the person who named it was sitting on the same hill, way before the sand company moved in of course, and saw the sun setting behind it and thought...bloody ridge.

just a theory.

Jeff

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Perhaps the person who named it was sitting on the same hill, way before the sand company moved in of course, and saw the sun setting behind it and thought...bloody ridge.
Jeff,
Very viable theory. Either way it is a very cool name and a beautiful area to travel through. It has all of the Pitch Pine and Scrub Oak of the uplands and the Atlantic Cedar forests along the Webbs Mill Branch. It also looks great from a hill over 4 miles away. Will have to make a sunset there one day.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I was at Warren Grove, but I was also here for awhile. This is the start of Cedar Creek. Monster Trucks have been riding in here. I was looking at plant species.

View attachment 4097
Bob,
Beautiful area. Havent been there in a couple of years. Need to get back there. I am sure you had a great day there. I am sure you and Teegate had a blast at Warren Grove too.