Historic Sawmill Pictures

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
All:

I was browsing around on the Library of Congress site and they have a section devoted to Images of America from the Great Depression to WW2. In there are many, many pictures of sawmills similar to those that were in the Pines. Clicking on the image brings you to the page in the LOC where you can see the image metadata.

Heard County, GA: The interesting thing here is that it appears to be driven by some sort of tractor motor, and the blades are belt driven, much like how I suppose the one near Mary Ann forge was run.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Jefferson, TX. Note the giant pile of sawdust. Even 50-100 years later, you can still see mounds at Pine Barrens sawmill sites where sawdust has sat. Here they're making shingles, which would have been common in the Pines as well.

"Pine Area, NJ" - Is this Double Trouble?

Nice to see the shingle operation. Similar to Batsto's. Horizontal blade, blocked wood , and shinicock. I don't see a bailer for the doghair (down below the shingle station in Batsto). Wonder what wood they used in Texas? We used white cedar, (of course). I've heard of using mined wood and a diamond saw to make long lasting shingles for some roofs in Philly.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very cool Ben. I think that Pines one is either Double Trouble like you say, or Tuckerton or Forked River. I have seen that photo before.

The long shaft in the Georgia photo is exactly like the one Guy, Chris, and I found at Warren Grove.

PS: In post number 2, first photo. Look at that supervisor with the coat on looking over their shoulders, making sure they do it right. I hate when people do that, he must have been a real pain in the butt to work for....."do it right Harley....do it right now!".

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for posting these Ben,
Similar to MaryAnn and similar to the one I showed to guy out near fort dix I suspect (the later was the most intact mill I've seen in the pines).

Jeff

leahey

Aug 31, 2009
I don't think that is Double Trouble. Unless the sawmill was significantly different prior to the rebuild.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I am not aware of an intact sawmill in the Ft. Dix area. Could I get the location of it? I am very interested in seeing it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not aware of an intact sawmill in the Ft. Dix area. Could I get the location of it? I am very interested in seeing it.

It is not intact. It is the only one we have found that still had portions of the wooden structure left. Plus, there are quite a few odd concrete pieces there that we have never viewed before. Jeff's description as the "most intact" is accurate.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
that is amazing, but from what I understand, it is in an area few travel.

you would most likley have to get in thier and section it up with a torch just to move it. Not a real good spot to try that.

Chris

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It is not intact. It is the only one we have found that still had portions of the wooden structure left. Plus, there are quite a few odd concrete pieces there that we have never viewed before. Jeff's description as the "most intact" is accurate.

Guy

Is it on the Browns Mills side of the base?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The sawmill was owned by Emmor W. Mick in this 1942 survey.

Emmor_W._Mick_1942.jpg

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

IMG_6464.JPG

Guy