Historical landcover data

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This thread is primarily for @Lynn Cremona , but might be of interest to others. In a profile post, Lynn asked me the following question:

"Is there a way to see the Atlantic White Cedar footprint in the Franklin Parker Preserve, using your maps, over the decades?"

Hi Lynn! Profile posts are only for short text-message-type replies and this was too large for that. You can look at aerial imagery over the years and draw your own conclusions. For example, this is 2020 imagery in the PinesXT app

https://boydsmaps.com/pines/#17/39.841513/-74.530560/pines2020a/0/0/

Now look at the sidebar where it shows landcover data. As it shows, there are Atlantic White Cedar wetlands at this location.

xt.png

As you move the map around, this will show the landcover type at the crosshairs. Choose any other map that you like from the menu and the data will continue to be displayed. However, the landcover type will always be based on 2015 data (newest available) regardless of what year aerial imagery you choose.

button.png

menu.png

I don't have any historical landcover data "footprints" though, if that's what you need. NJGIN does have some data. It's not in a format that could be used without processing and converting to a map however, which would be a big project, and not something that would interest me, sorry.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Might also mention that there's this map which shows landcover info overlaid on 2017 aerials. It is based on 2012 landcover data, so there might be some variations between what it shows and the 2015 data in the XT app. Frankly, this map is kind of a mess and I will probably be deleting it at some point in the future to make room for other maps.

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.841513/-74.530560/pinesLC/0.00/0.00

Lynn Cremona

Feb 9, 2016
Neptune
Thank You
Apologies if I didn't understand, what you said.
Even though the map I pull up is dated 2012, what I will see is actually what it looked like in 2015, just a different quality ?

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
No, you will see a 2012 map, or whatever year you choose. The landcover data that is displayed here will always be from 2015, regardless of the map you view.

Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 5.31.54 AM.png