Housing plan for farmland in Medford

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
in reading the article it brought back something i read " if you can see the smoke from your neighbors chimney your too close" or something like that

it is getting too urban for the wife and myself around here

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
onehand said:
it is getting too urban for the wife and myself around here

I guess you should have stayed in Chatsworth since the building there is very limited.

Guy

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Yes and no. Building is limited and it's not very big yet. On the other hand, any place you live that you can't have at least one derelict vehicle in your yard and the dogs can run free all of the time is too big. After my son graduates I'd like to move out to what looks like the country. When I can't keep after it any more, right to assisted living.

Gillian

TeeGate said:
I guess you should have stayed in Chatsworth since the building there is very limited.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
From article:

"For the past 15 years, the Mill Creek Organic Farm has participated in a community-supported agriculture program, where shares were sold to people in return for the organically-grown fruits and vegetables grown there. "

You know, I always drove by that farm thinking, "Wow, there's actually an organic farm in the area." I had no idea it was also a community funded agriculture operation. Does anyone know any more about this place?

It's really sad to see a farm with these two pluses for sustainability (organic methods + community supported to help offset additional costs to run a more expensive organic/sustainable farm) fall vicitim to the almighty green one ($). If these types of places can't survive, pave the way for factory farms, chemical pesiticides and fertilizers, and genetic engineering to run our produce . . . ugh. What bugs me is that normally, people who believe and practice these methodologies/philosophies would never, from what I've read, bow down to selling out to, of all things, a massive housing development. Of course, I don't know the people that owned it, but it just seems somewhat hypocritical from my perspective. This type of community supported, sustainable agriculture is what I want to get into when I go back to school and get out of corporate, no-natural-light, cubicle land.

Justin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NewSchoolPiney said:
What bugs me is that normally, people who believe and practice these methodologies/philosophies would never, from what I've read, bow down to selling out to, of all things, a massive housing development. Of course, I don't know the people that owned it, but it just seems somewhat hypocritical from my perspective.
Justin

There always is a possibility the new generation of that particular family took over by default, with different thoughts about the property. That seems to me the way most large parcels end.

Guy