How 'Bout Them Eagles ?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Me and a buddy did our first groundhog hunt for the season yesterday. (No groundhogs were harmed.)
The good news was that there was a pair of nesting Bald Eagles on one of my favorite pieces. The owner of the property advised us ahead of time about the Eagles so I brought my Phone Skope gear hoping to capture some photos.

Upon arrival, it was clear that we weren't going to be able to hunt the piece as we normally did in the past because of the nest location. We settled into a goose blind at about 260 yards from the nest and set up the Phone Skope and enjoyed the show. I was able to obtain some grainy video of an eaglet being fed and over a hundred still photographs. The initial vantage point was looking into the sun which wasn't conducive to taking good photos.

Later in the morning we changed our location to have the sun at our backs. We were at about 240 yards from the nest. Mr. and Mrs. Eagle took turns watching the nest from a perch about 50 yards from the nest and at one point both were perched on the same tree.

I have never heard eagles vocalize like they did yesterday. It was an awesome day to be able to relax and enjoy such spectacular animal behavior. The one bird was banded with a green band around its right leg. It can be seen in the photos.
IMG_1055 (2).JPG
IMG_1057 (2).JPG
IMG_1071 (2).JPG

Last edited:

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I was driving through the woods the other day and came across an eagle, vulture, and hawk in the same spot. I assume they were eating a carcass.
I wouldn't think the eagle would tolerate the other two. Really neat.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was driving through the woods the other day and came across an eagle, vulture, and hawk in the same spot. I assume they were eating a carcass.
I wouldn't think the eagle would tolerate the other two. Really neat.
I have obtained a lot of carcass cam photos over the years and eagles and red-tailed hawks definitely rule the roost. I have caught a few pics where buzzards were thick on the carcass and then vanished and within the next 15 second picture delay, an eagle or hawk claim the carcass. No sharing. In December I had two red-tails on a carcass but that only lasted for one pic. The larger one apparently kicked the smaller one out.
Here is that sequence. In the second pic the larger bird is watching the other leave. I love this Browning camera.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 112

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
It's amazes me that eagles are becoming some common.

It wasn't long ago that seeing an eagle, wild turkey, or coyote in the pines was a rare sight.

This year I even saw a black bear on the Atlantic County/Cape May County border.

Reactions: RednekF350

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I think Cumberland county must be the eagle capital of the world,ospreys too.Had an eagle kill a squirrel in my yard a couple years ago.Kids were having a birthday party and the eagle wouldnt come down and get it because of the kids.I made them stay at the house end of the yard but he wasn't having it.He stayed in the tree till party was over.I figgered he'd get it when we left.Nope next day squirrel still there and eagle gone.
Scott you want to do some eagle photo down here let me know I"ll swing you some nest coords.One in Salem county is a particularly gorgeous location in a monster sycamore over top a crumbling old brick mansion.
Ialmost passed this thread.I thought it was about football.Last thing I wanted to do was read about the home run somebody ran last night.I have to hear enough of that garbage at work.