How do I put images in my posts?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ben Ruset, May 8, 2011.

1. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

Confused about how to go about uploading pictures to the site and/or including them in forum posts? You've come to the right place.

There's a few ways that you can put pictures into your posts. You can either upload your images to the image gallery at NJPineBarrens.com, attach them to a post, or upload them to a 3rd party image host (such as Flickr) and link to them from your post. I'll go through the options and give you step by step instructions on how to share your photos with the community here.

2. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

[​IMG]

Option 1: Upload your pictures to the NJPB Image Gallery

Everyone who has a forums account here also automatically has an account on the NJPB Image Gallery. Your user name and password for the forums are the same for the NJPB Image Gallery. Here's how you go about uploading a picture:

1. Log into the image gallery. Open up a new tab in your browser, and navigate your browser to http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com (or click on the "Gallery" link on the top of the site.) You'll come to a site that looks like this:

[​IMG]
    2. Click the Login link in the upper right hand part of the site. (Hint: It's next to the links that say Home, Search, and Register.)
    3. You will see the login box. Enter the user name and password you use to log into the forums here, and press the submit button.

[​IMG]
    4. When you log in you'll notice some additional links that didn't show up before:

[​IMG]
    5. Click on the Upload Photos link:

[​IMG]
    6. You'll see a page that looks like this:

[​IMG]
    7. Click on the button that says "Select Files for Upload"
      [​IMG]
    8. Select the files that you want to upload. You can select more than one at a time by control-clicking on each image. (Note: I have a Macintosh so my screen will look different than the one that you'd see on a PC.)
      [​IMG]
    9. When you upload the images you'll see some animated meters showing the progress of the upload, and finally end up looking at a screen like this. I uploaded two images, so you'll notice where is says two images uploaded. Click on the "Upload/Submit" button:
      [​IMG]
    10. You'll come to a page where you can enter in titles and descriptions for your images if you want. When you're done, click on the Process button at the bottom of the page.
      [​IMG]
    11. You'll now be brought to your member gallery. The member gallery is a location where all of your uploaded images are located. You'll be able to see all of the images that you have uploaded to the gallery here. Find the image that you want to share in your post and click on either the thumbnail (the small size picture) or the title of the image.
      [​IMG]
    12. When you click on the thumbnail or the image title you'll be brought to the page for that image. You'll see the picture as well as some other information about the photo. If you scroll down you'll be able to get the code that you will need to cut and paste into your post to add the image. Click on the little icon of the window with a link over it:
      [​IMG]
    13. This will expand out the BBcode that you can use to cut and paste into your post. You'll have three options:
      a) Linked Medium - This will allow you to display a clickable medium-sized image that will bring someone to the page of the image in your gallery.
      b) Medium Image - This will display medium-sized copy of your image with no link to the gallery. You will most likely want to use this most of the time.
      c) Direct Link - This is a direct link to your image. You would choose this if you wanted to email or instant message someone the direct link to your photo.
    14. Back the tab where you're writing your post, you can paste the code you copied from the step above into your post where you'd like the image to show up, and it will appear after you submit your post:
      [​IMG]

3. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

[​IMG]

Option 2: Attach Your Images to Your Posts

You can attach images directly to your posts. It's easier than uploading to a gallery, but comes with the disadvantage of making you have to resize your images before you post them. The maximum attachment size per image is 1 megabyte, which still allows for a fairly large image. You will get an error message if you try to upload an image that is too big.

Note that I will be writing this section from the perspective of someone making a new thread, however the steps are similar for adding pictures to post that you are writing as a reply.
    1. Begin writing your thread or response.
    2. Click the "Upload a File" button
      [​IMG]
    3. Select the files that you want to upload. You can select more than one at a time by control-clicking on each image. (Note: I have a Macintosh so my screen will look different than the one that you'd see on a PC.)
      [​IMG]
    4. After you have uploaded your images you'll be able to insert them into your post. To insert the image as a clickable thumbnail, press the thumbnail button located next to the image you want to show. To display it full-size, press the Full Image button. Any images that you do not insert into your post will show up in a list at the end of your post automatically.
      [​IMG]
    5. This is what you'll see at the end. It shows one image linked as a thumbnail, and another image that was not selected in the post.
      [​IMG]

4. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

[​IMG]

Option 3: Flickr

Flickr is a free (although you can pay to upgrade your account) image hosting service owned by Yahoo! Flickr makes it easy to upload, manage, and share your pictures.

From within Flickr, click on the down arrow at the top bubble above the photo you want to share. Switch the radio button to BBCode and choose what size picture you want to link to. Then cut and paste the code that shows up in the window into your post here.

[​IMG]