How to prevent spider bites in woods

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Been doing a lot of Bush wacking lately and spider bites all over my legs. I wear boots with pants tucked into socks but they are still getting me.
No ticks

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have you actually seen spiders on your legs? Are you sure they aren't chiggers? This is the time of year they usually start getting bad. ;)

I think treating your clothes with permethrin is the best you can do, be sure to follow the directions on the can. Just stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods today and replenished my supply. Was glad to see they now carry two different brands of permethrin spray, and several different sizes and styles (trigger spray, aerosol can).

But in my experience, while permethrin is very effective against ticks, it is less effective against chiggers.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
The bites are large and raised up - all bites seem to follow a straight line too..however I did not actually see any spiders
Have you actually seen spiders on your legs? Are you sure they aren't chiggers? This is the time of year they usually start getting bad. ;)

I think treating your clothes with permethrin is the best you can do, be sure to follow the directions on the can. Just stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods today and replenished my supply. Was glad to see they now carry two different brands of permethrin spray, and several different sizes and styles (trigger spray, aerosol can).

But in my experience, while permethrin is very effective against ticks, it is less effective against chiggers.

Attachments

• IMG_9814.JPG
    IMG_9814.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 305

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think those are chigger bites, have not seen discussion of "spider bites" around here before. They affect some people more than others, I am pretty sensitive to them. Often see them in a line and especially in places where clothes are tight, like under socks, behind my knees, along my waistline.

I don't really think much helps Sue, Permethrin seems to help some, but my main preventative is just to stay out of the underbrush this time of year. I won't mow the lawn without freshly treated pants and socks.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I've had chiggers but their bites are much smaller and grouped together. There Is a line of large bites going straight up my legs to my waist. A few were raised bigger than any mosquito bite I've ever had

I think those are chigger bites, have not seen discussion of "spider bites" around here before. They affect some people more than others, I am pretty sensitive to them. Often see them in a line and especially in places where clothes are tight, like under socks, behind my knees, along my waistline.

I don't really think much helps Sue, Permethrin seems to help some, but my main preventative is just to stay out of the underbrush this time of year. I won't mow the lawn without freshly treated pants and socks.
Ive

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
They look like chigger bites to me. I've had them grouped together and large ones spread out too. They are bad this year. My son got them by walking about 6 feet in grass just over his ankles.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd agree with the chigger observations, second would be Asian Tiger mosquitos, but under clothing does not make sense for them. Try some Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Expedition strength on your ankles and legs, DEET free. Permethrin on the cloths and SSS on the skin, best protection I have found for blood suckers.

9109ddsIHbL._SY679_.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob... What's your suggestion for boots?

If you are serious about bushwhacking in the pines exploring, these are key to keeping critters down to a minimum and keeping your feet dry. They also keep the huckleberry bushes from tearing up your legs and pants. Ticks and spiders usually don't cling to them, and they are likely brushed off by the next bush you walk through.

https://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Gra...=8-1&keywords=lacrosse+18+grange+rubber+boots.

They are usually cheaper if you search around a bit. They last me 2-3 seasons only, because I am out 2-3 times a week May through October.

I feel very vulnerable going out in the pines without these. Been wearing them for over 25 years.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I still have a scar from a spider bite on my arm from two years ago with fang marks plainly visible.I was bit in my sleep while in bed.never had anything like that happen in the woods.We get big nasty wolf spiders in the house in spring and fall.Probably one of them.It swelled up the size of a 50 cent piece and when I would squeeze it for six months white cheesey looking stuff with blood mixed in would come out.I would tell my wife. Look! Cheese and wine! She would get mad at me for some reason? It never did hurt but was quite scary looking.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
OK, thanks for that. I have Muck Brand boots & while they're comfortable & keep my feet dry, perhaps the neoprene shaft allows the critters to cling.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muck...RyT6W7G08ywlHBz4xGRoC5XcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd gouge holes in those with the fabric/foam deal they have. LaCrosse makes that style too. Just remember the Grange model is uninsulated, which is crucial in summer and keeps them lighter than most, but cold in temps below 35 degrees or so (depends on how good your circulation is).

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
We get big nasty wolf spiders in the house in spring and fall.

I have some huge ones hanging around my porch and smaller ones in the house. Do they bite? Up in NY State we had brown recluse spiders, their bites can be very nasty.

Anyway, I've never had any reason to believe that spiders were biting my legs in multiple places while walking through the woods. :)

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
WaretownMike,

I can attest to spider bites in the Pines. Old downed logs are a hot-spot. When clearing oak/pine woods for building my house, I too became a target. Scary large red patches appeared in the worst instances—itchy and sore.

Half the homestead parcel was last farmed when I was a kid in the early '60s, and the other half was old woodlot last cut maybe a century ago by the Evans'—Richland's original Welsh settlers. The variety of spider species was overwhelming where the two-aged tree-stands transitioned.

At that time I was in the thick of land clearing, I met a European spider systemicist at a local university who thought that there were spider species in the Pine Barrens yet to be described. Then there were those damned venomous saddleback caterpillars that when their spines were brushed against felt like wasp stings.

S-M

Reactions: Boyd

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I'd gouge holes in those with the fabric/foam deal they have. LaCrosse makes that style too. Just remember the Grange model is uninsulated, which is crucial in summer and keeps them lighter than most, but cold in temps below 35 degrees or so (depends on how good your circulation is).
I'll second that.... The shaft of mine are probably 50% "Shoe Goo"

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was lit up by a mess of IO caterpillars on a branch in Pembroke Pines Florida when i was 12.If Saddlebacks are like that I want no part of them.Between Fire ants,ICaterpillars and man of War Jellyfish My brief stay in Florida was a painful time but it is a gorgeous state!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Talk about pain; I grabbed a grass spike from the ground 2 years ago on a botany trip because there was something odd on it. That odd thing was a buck moth caterpillar, and I hurt for 3 days, and it was still sore a couple days more. Do not mess with them!

Reactions: manumuskin