Howardsville Revisited ..... And the Keith Line

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Jessica and I spent Saturday morning returning to Howardsville to explore again after quite a few years. We were looking for a sawmill in the woods east of Howardsville that I felt I could see on HistoricAerials.com. I was incorrect, but the area was something at one time. Apparently others feel the same way because there was obvious metal detecting going on there.

We had walked there from Howardsville and here is the road there and back.

IMG_2153.JPG

On that road in 1887 the surveyor Walter E.Borden resurveyed Howardsville and placed a large stone right along the road with his complete name and the date on it. I looked for that stone years ago and could not find it. It turns out there is a photo of it taken by our very own Lost Town Hunter back in the mid to late 70s. Unfortunately, on a return visit by him it was gone. That is one reason I am so vague in my posts.

The location today .... 125 years later.

IMG_2154.JPG

So while passing by I checked on one stone I found in the past. Still there :)

IMG_2155.JPG

Jessica and I cut through the woods and came into the main field from the far end. The view from there yesterday morning.

IMG_2160.JPG

While there I received a call that the information someone wanted to give me was available for pickup. So I traveled to the home of a friend and was greeted with a 3 inch thick envelope with documents on the Lawrence Line. Some of the information I already knew, and obviously some I did not. Included with the information was various other documents pertaining to the Keith Line and even one on the Glover Fulling Mill Site in Haddon Heights NJ. Quite an interesting read on Fulling Mills in NJ. I live near Haddon Heights and have never visited the place and Jessica told me it is high time we do.

Anyway, some of you may remember me finding the 1854 Commissioner stones along the Burlington County line that were placed there by the Commissioners of East and West Jersey to mark the Keith Line and other portions of Burlington County Line. Here is one if you did not see it. You can just see the top of the letter B or O. I can't remember which one it was.

bo.JPG

So after acquiring the information mentioned above, I was reading it over closely and realized there actually are at least two more of them. I knew there were others that were no longer in existence, and was even thrown off of Ft Dix property looking for one of them, but this information was new to me. So after looking all the information over I determined I knew where it was, and this afternoon I made a return trip to the barrens to look for it. The story is that in 1854 the Commissioners placed this one particular stone along a small dirt road in the pines that unknown to them would one day be a major highway. Since they had a nasty habit of placing them so close to roads it is obvious this would be a problem. So about 1930 when this road was improved the 1854 stone was dead centered in the new road. In order to preserve the integrity of the Keith Line this stone was moved 33 feet from the middle of the road and reset underground. On the other side of the road was placed a concrete monument 118.59 feet away.

So, 158 years after it was first placed along a small dirt road, and about 85 years after it was moved, I headed out today to find it. I was successful.

IMG_2164.JPG

Unfortunately, it is along a main road and I did not have a shovel to see the letters. I am not one to do this sort of thing unless I am in the woods, so this may have to be all I see of the stone. Maybe one day at the break of dawn I will venture there again and see what the results are, but i seriously doubt I will do that. Sometimes it is just best to leave things alone and to the imagination. If I dug it up and the letters were not there I would be disappointed. And if the cops caught me I would be in jail.

Back to the Lawrence Line. In the paperwork I received was a survey map which I already had. However, this one actually was different. The same map but different ........ odd. My survey map was saying the Greenwood Forest area near Howardsville was surveyed in 1959, but this one said 1957. It even had small tracts of land mentioned that were owned by other individuals inside the Greenwood Forest. Mine did not. In any event, what really was interesting is this map was used by someone more recently to find the Lawrence Line monuments. I am quite certain it was John Taylor the surveyor or his crew. At this location they could not find a monument.

not.jpg

I have no idea if they found it or not so I went looking for it today.

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

And then back to Howardsville to again visit the largest stone to see if it is still there.

IMG_2175.JPG

And finally, the view this late afternoon looking back on the area I took the photo from yesterday morning. The beginning and the end of the town called Howardsville.

IMG_2183.JPG

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Nice pictures, Guy. I've only been out there once, but I thought I detected cellar holes and some brick debris along the road west of the field. I've also found pottery shards while walking out in the field itself. Other than that I don't know much about Howardsville.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Great report Teegate! I have been there a few times and a keen eye can still find bricks and pieces of farm equipment rotting away in the area. This may have been discussed before, but are the two large grey monuments from a cemetery? There are several stone works close to my neighborhood and all of them have piles of monuments that have been discarded for what ever reason. Maybe those two were taken and put to good use by the surveyors from a nearby business.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As far as I know they were placed there by Surveyor Walter E. Borden in 1887. Where he got them if it was him is not known by me. There are similar stones in Medford at the Girls Scout Camp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Back in early February I contacted a man who I believed had on his property the "Beginning" stone for the 1854 survey of the Keith line by the Commissioners. This stone is the first stone placed along the line which at that time was the Burlington County border. Sometime after 1930 there were concrete monuments placed along the line and I expected there would be one nearby also.

Within a few days I received a reply informing me that he knew what I wanted to see but it would be best for me to visit in the spring. Last weekend I contacted him again and was told that 9AM this morning would be fine. Upon arriving I was warmly greeted and off we went to the location of the stone. But there was no evidence of a stone or concrete monument, rather a wooden deck. Suddenly, the man got down on his hands and knees and was looking through the wooden lattice.

IMG_2514.JPG

He grabbed the stick you can see in the above photo and shoved it in a hole and pointed to the stone so that I could located it. Imagine both of us laying there on the ground looking through those holes :) Anyway, in the below photo you can see the concrete monument in front of the block, and the Beginning stone is just above my name but mostly underground. This is the best view I will ever get of it I am sure.

IMG_2512.JPG

At this point I believe I know the location of every 1854 Keith line stone from route 70 south, and also the locations of where some were at that are no longer there. I still have one location to look at again but the odds are slim that one is still there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is an interesting find. Nice!

Did you just post two photo's? My web browser shows an icon at the top of your post as if one is not showing up.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would say it was some sort of fuel tank.

No need to go into details, but this was not in the open field anywhere was it??? I don't see how the state would have missed that when they bulldozed the town.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At this point I believe I know the location of every 1854 Keith line stone from route 70 south, and also the locations of where some were at that are no longer there. I still have one location to look at again but the odds are slim that one is still there.

Guy

Well, the facts are that this statement is not true. Just this past week I was contacted by someone, and Al and I will be teaming up with them to search for Keith Line stones. This past weekend I met him and we took a short ride to one of the locations I mention in a previous post. It turns out there is a stone there 42 feet away from the one I photographed and that one is the true Keith Line stone. I had the wrong one.

You can see the O for Ocean

IMG_3378a.jpg

The top of the B for Burlington

IMG_3379a.jpg

IMG_3380a.jpg

While at the stone I sat on the ground to take photo's of it and started to feel something on me. I had manumuskin's worst nightmare with thousand of ants on me and they were biting. I was almost ready to head into the man's van and take all of my clothes off, but with Jessica's lint roller and me crushing them we were able to eliminate most of them.

Guy

• Wow
Reactions: manumuskin