Howardsville Stones

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yea...I might have to.

I was planning on going to Cabellas with my wife's brother and parents in the coming weeks and having Jessica try to find a size that would fit her on these, but now I am not so sure.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=24712

Guy

That is not right Guy. Mine have lasted through 20 PBX trips as well as what I do on my own, and they are the same brand. It has to be that they either changed their process or lowered their standards.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have looked for all the ones I know about so far which is 15. The marble monument and the stone on the Lawrence Line are absolutely not there, and the two stones on the southern end that we looked for on our hike I have to revisit and search again.

Actually, there are 16 but one is not part of Howardsville. We looked today for it but found out it is on private property so we headed back to the car.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is not right Guy. Mine have lasted through 20 PBX trips as well as what I do on my own, and they are the same brand. It has to be that they either changed their process or lowered their standards.

Well, one pull goes almost completely around the leg, and I had to get scissors and cut multiple 6 inch long frays off because they were hanging.

At one point I got snagged by briers and they had gone completely through and when I looked down to pull it out there was a 1/8 hole in them. The hole has seemed to fill in and does not show now, but I am sure it has been compromised.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
i am pretty sure i will be recieving the same pair today for x-mas. i am sorry to hear they may not be the best. that is weird that it worked for Bob and noy Guy. probably a change in manufacturing. oh,well.

jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, check the tags.

My belt tab says...Wrangler, Rugged Wear. There is the letter "W" stitched into the back pockets.

The tab inside says 100% cotton and 100% nylon; Made in Mexico with US made fabric.

bob

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I swear by Filson as I said earlier.
However, for a slightly less expensive option some of my rabbit buddies swear by these:
http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1
They do make chaps for about $35.00 that I haven't seen.
My buddies all have the bibs which are bulletproof but they would be a bit much for hiking.
I haven't seen a nylon faced pant yet (like Cabelas product) that will last through a season of rabbit hunting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I swear by Filson as I said earlier.
However, for a slightly less expensive option some of my rabbit buddies swear by these:
http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1
They do make chaps for about $35.00 that I haven't seen.
My buddies all have the bibs which are bulletproof but they would be a bit much for hiking.
I haven't seen a nylon faced pant yet (like Cabelas product) that will last through a season of rabbit hunting.

Scott, have you ever seen the briars like those we saw at Howardsville? The arms (pointed tips) were right next to each other and all around the stem. I have seen them before, but it had been a while that I had seen them. They were deadly.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, have you ever seen the briars like those we saw at Howardsville? The arms (pointed tips) were right next to each other and all around the stem. I have seen them before, but it had been a while that I had seen them. They were deadly.

I have seen those and fortunately, they don't grow everywhere.
My biggest nemesis in surveying and hunting is multiflora rose.
It seems to be more prevalent outside of the pines, which is a good thing.
Multiflora rose is not only hard to walk through, it is hard to cut survey lines through.
We use machetes and brush hooks. The rose is very stiff and slides up the handle and cuts your hands as you go.
Another hostile woody species is Honeylocust. (Gleditsia triacanthos)
I was delineating wetlands last Monday in Pennsville and the woods I was in had several honeylocust trees. The trunks and branches are protected by 3"-4" deadly spikes.
If you walk into one you are in for a debilitating puncture wound.
God's way of saying leave me alone.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Quote: "First off, what business do rabbits have wearing pants? Second of all, since when did you start befriending rabbits?"

Jeff

Well Jeff, I'll have you know that all the timid woodland creatures are my buddies.
I have them over for dinner quite a bit.
Or is that: "I have them for dinner quite a bit." ?
:D

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Quote: "First off, what business do rabbits have wearing pants? Second of all, since when did you start befriending rabbits?"

Jeff

Well Jeff, I'll have you know that all the timid woodland creatures are my buddies.
I have them over for dinner quite a bit.
Or is that: "I have them for dinner quite a bit." ?
:D

:rofl:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went today to look for the final two stones that I know about at Howardsville. One of them is not there; however, we found the other one.

main.php

We have exhausted Howardsville for now ...so on to other things :)

Guy