Hunter Fatally Shoots Woman He Mistook For A Deer

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
https://nypost.com/2017/11/24/hunter-fatally-shot-woman-he-thought-was-a-deer-cops/

Hunter Fatally Shoots Woman He Mistook For A Deer On Thanksgiving Eve
By Hilary Hanson

In western NY state. She was walking her dogs near her home when she was shot by a neighbor. 40 minutes after sunset - not legal to hunt after sunset.

Let's all be careful out there. Permit Muzzleloader hunting days start Monday 11/27 and 6-day firearm season is the next week 12/4 - 12/9.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I believe in NJ you can hunt 30 minutes before and after sunset.no reason to mistake a woman and dog for deer anyway.if you can't see what it is don't shoot it,that simple.night hunting is the only way to get deer on bait piles sometimes.the bastards are smart.they will often only come to the pile after dark.
Not many folks know how to hunt without bait anymore.

Reactions: h2ochild

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I don't even like referring to these incidents as accidents. They are acts of stupidity. If the few basic rules of safe gun handling are followed there will be NO accidents. The two most important ones are to treat every firearm as if loaded at all times and to always be sure of your target, and beyond. I still remember as if it was yesterday passing up a shot at a huge buck over thirty years ago near Dingmans Ferry during black powder season. I had been tracking a deer in a light snow for hours and eventually caught sight of it as it crested a ridge uphill of me. I had the sights of the Hawken rifle on the vital zone as it paused but if I missed, the ball would have went over the ridge, to who-knows-where. I passed up the shot and never caught up to him again, but I've never regretted it.

Handguns are legal to hunt with in several states, by the way. The bigger calibers are as lethal to deer-sized game as many rifle calibers. The sight radius of the shorter barrel is what limits the range to a little farther than what an archer can hit a target at, but there are scopes made to be mounted on larger revolvers that can extend that range.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Yes NJ allows hunting up to 1/2 hour after sunset. I was walking in the woods yesterday until around 3:30pm - a full hour before sunset - and it was starting to get dark in there. I expect it would be very dark in that 1/2 hour after sunset.

I think the articles say he wasn't charged yet - I expect he will be charged, probably more than one charge.

I am not a hunter, but I still try to get a copy of the New Jersey Hunting & Trapping Digest and I find it fascinating reading. Did you know that if you are a licensed adult hunter supervising a youth on a Youth Hunting Day, then the State of NJ gives you permission to grunt (page 24).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not a hunter, but I still try to get a copy of the New Jersey Hunting & Trapping Digest and I find it fascinating reading. Did you know that if you are a licensed adult hunter supervising a youth on a Youth Hunting Day, then the State of NJ gives you permission to grunt (page 24).

So if I walk in the woods and grunt without a license, that is illegal?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes NJ allows hunting up to 1/2 hour after sunset. I was walking in the woods yesterday until around 3:30pm - a full hour before sunset - and it was starting to get dark in there. I expect it would be very dark in that 1/2 hour after sunset.

I think the articles say he wasn't charged yet - I expect he will be charged, probably more than one charge.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2017/dighnt17.pdf
Theres your digest!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Did you know that if you are a licensed adult hunter supervising a youth on a Youth Hunting Day, then the State of NJ gives you permission to grunt (page 24).

You left some stuff out;
"The adult may grunt, call or rattle for the youth."

It's all about context.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I once read a story in the Almanac about a man who kept having his cows shot by hunters so he went around and painted COW in large white letters on each one hoping this would help.Next day he came out and found another dead cow with a bullet hole neatly placed in the center of the O.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

You have to be careful what you add to your truck ;)

deer-hood.jpg