Hunter shot, injured in Maurice River Township

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Never understood the logic of two lines of people one approaching the other and both firing towards each other in the hopes that they will hit a deer instead of each other.Eventually the odds will catch up with you.

IMO, not what I consider the normal 'fair chase' hunting. It may have been necessary in the long, gone past, but certainly not now. Same opinion for baiting.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Never understood the logic of two lines of people one approaching the other and both firing towards each other in the hopes that they will hit a deer instead of each other.Eventually the odds will catch up with you.

In my opinion, club hunting is safer now than it used to be due to the advent of the portable climbing tree stands and hunter orange requirements.

When I was a kid and came across clubs in the woods all of the standers were on the ground. You had to rely on the safety consciousness of the drivers and standers not to take a shot in the direction of another hunter. I also remember many of the older hunters I came across in the woods would have a red leather or buffalo plaid (black and red) cap as their only safety gear. Red is worthless in low light conditions and many people are color ignorant (me). The hunter orange has saved many lives in my opinion but is statistically hard to document since an accident was averted.

NJ requires a minimum of a solid orange cap. PA requires a cap and vest for all big and small game hunting except during their flintlock season where you can hunt without any orange.

As for portable stands, I remember Baker being the first brand on the market. They were steel framed with a plywood deck, heavy and a little unwieldy to pack through the woods. Today, the aluminum climbers are light and safe. I have three Summits for me and my sons and they are a pleasure to use. The clubs that I am familiar with started using them on deer drives many years ago. The standers have the safety benefit of shooting downward toward the ground and the hunting advantage of being elevated for extended viewing over brush. Now when you see the standers being dropped off they are usually packing in portables.

Reactions: manumuskin

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
IMO, not what I consider the normal 'fair chase' hunting. It may have been necessary in the long, gone past, but certainly not now. Same opinion for baiting.

Deer baiting in New Jersey is harder to kill a deer. I've been hunting 34 years in the pines and the odds are in the deer's favor most times. Their so used to baiting and have become accustomed to it being there so they turn nocturnal when presence of humans enter the woods. Some cases how bigger bucks are killed over bait is during the rut when they chase females in mid November. As far as deer driving in the big woods most deer run out the sides and run back through the drivers or lay down in the thicket till the driver passes by. The hunter most times is at the disadvantage even with modern equipment. I have been fortunate to harvest many deer in my day but I have also witnessed a lot of bucks not close the distance and I'm sure Redneck 350 would agree.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I remember when your bait had to be out of sight of the stand.Now everyone hunts over top of a bait pile with a camera on it.They then get pissed when someone walks up,sees the bait,looks left and right,locates the camera and walks off with it. I just found a camera last week on public land only strapped to a tree over a bait pile.I could have walked off with it without even a fight.And as far as the game wardens are concerned it was left on public property....finders keepers. I am a lot of things but not a thief so as far as i know it's still there.Now if I go back in June and it's still there and the baits long gone I may walk off with it assuming it's abandoned.I think folks really think their in a wilderness out there and no one else has ever been there. This is NJ,not the Amazon.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did the same a few weeks back. I left it there. I have gone back and checked on camera's I have found and they are always gone.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Say, don't you have a bushel of apples, corn, and pumpkins to set out in front of your stand?

:)
The smart, somewhat lazy and budget-minded hunter finds someone else's bait pile and then sets out upon the very simple task of determining how the deer travel to and from the pile. One then just places their portable stand along one of the routes.
You may not make a lot of new friends doing that but it is a very effective technique nonetheless.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The smart, somewhat lazy and budget-minded hunter finds someone else's bait pile and then sets out upon the very simple task of determining how the deer travel to and from the pile. One then just places their portable stand along one of the routes.
You may not make a lot of new friends doing that but it is a very effective technique nonetheless.

And if you get one on the return trip, you have your vegetables prepackaged!

Reactions: manumuskin
T

Toothy Critter

Excuse my ignorance, I am not a hunter, but... can someone explain why they release coyotes to control the deer population? Why not just let hunters take more deer, extend the season? Just wondering