Hunting Pine Snake

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I believe the link should be:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=336&pos=0

In any event, since you asked me specifically, and the place looks like it creates quite a few "mud pies" when you drive through it, I can't help thinking about how many times I spent at the car wash in the 70's and 80's washing my Land Cruiser trying to remove mud like that. So my thought tells me that you were on the puddle road between the Forked River Mountains, trying to find your way to my secret camping spot :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, nice snake. I was hoing to see one today but had to settle for 10,000 CHIGGERS. Used up what was left of two cans of OFF and drove home in bare feet.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
Bob,

I believe the link should be:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=336&pos=0

In any event, since you asked me specifically, and the place looks like it creates quite a few "mud pies" when you drive through it, I can't help thinking about how many times I spent at the car wash in the 70's and 80's washing my Land Cruiser trying to remove mud like that. So my thought tells me that you were on the puddle road between the Forked River Mountains, trying to find your way to my secret camping spot :)

Guy

Exactly right. I knew you would get it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
BTW, nice snake. I was hoing to see one today but had to settle for 10,000 CHIGGERS. Used up what was left of two cans of OFF and drove home in bare feet.

Guy

Tell me more about the chigger story. I love hearing about them for some reason.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Tell me more about the chigger story. I love hearing about them for some reason.

We first visited the stone I found yesterday and cleaned it off looking for the letters C.N. on it with no luck. That was 150 years ago so it may have worn off or been chipped off by a later owner. Jessica never left the road and only I walked in the woods. I don't think we got them there.

We then drove to the field at Union Clay Works and walked the survey path to the Ocean/Burlington County line where you Jessica and I walked when we saw the man who was hunting humans. I was looking for stones. We visited the granite marker that we found and Jeff has mentioned that has the letter SB inscribed on it.

Jessica never left the road, and I did only for a short distance. We turned around and walked the mile back to our car. She got in and instantly jumped out yelling CHIGGERS. I looked at her and all I saw was chiggers. The laces on her sneakers were black and they were all over her pants, arms, and hands. We pulled up her pants to her knees and they were all over her sock and legs.

Then I looked at myself and it was no better. So we took our shoes and sock off and sprayed them, and then I sprayed her until the can ran out. I was almost empty anyway. I grabbed the second one and by the time I was done she had it everywhere except her face and hair.

I then turned it on myself and it ran out. So I threw our shoes and socks in the trunk and headed off, while the chiggers ran all over these pants you gave me. They seemed disoriented but moving. By the time we got home we had a headache from the smell, and most of the chiggers were dead.

After showering I had just about 10 stuck to me and I have yet to see anything occurring from them.

I have not had a tick on me in 6 weeks. It appears they have quieted down. In any event it was a GREAT day :)

Guy

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Nice shot of the pinesnake, Bob. Look to be a good sized one. Was is emerging from a swim, or was a shallow puddle just in its way?
Dave

BobM said:
Guy, a question for you. Based upon what kind of terrain I saw this Pine Snake in today (as shown by the photo), where do you think he was heading? He was heading straight for a place familiar to you. I was going southeast on a road when I saw him.

Think hard now. I know you can figure this one out.......bob

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=336&pos=1

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
uuglypher said:
Nice shot of the pinesnake, Bob. Look to be a good sized one. Was is emerging from a swim, or was a shallow puddle just in its way?
Dave

That was just a puddle Dave, in the road. It has a clay bottom in that area so even in a drought it holds water from any rain for quite a while. I don't think the snake needed it, the weather was about 81 degrees today and fairly dry.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
We first visited the stone I found yesterday and cleaned it off looking for the letters C.N. on it with no luck. That was 150 years ago so it may have worn off or been chipped off by a later owner. Jessica never left the road and only I walked in the woods. I don't think we got them there.

We then drove to the field at Union Clay Works and walked the survey path to the Ocean/Burlington County line where you Jessica and I walked when we saw the man who was hunting humans. I was looking for stones. We visited the granite marker that we found and Jeff has mentioned that has the letter SB inscribed on it.

Jessica never left the road, and I did only for a short distance. We turned around and walked the mile back to our car. She got in and instantly jumped out yelling CHIGGERS. I looked at her and all I saw was chiggers. The laces on her sneakers were black and they were all over her pants, arms, and hands. We pulled up her pants to her knees and they were all over her sock and legs.

Then I looked at myself and it was no better. So we took our shoes and sock off and sprayed them, and then I sprayed her until the can ran out. I was almost empty anyway. I grabbed the second one and by the time I was done she had it everywhere except her face and hair.

I then turned it on myself and it ran out. So I threw our shoes and socks in the trunk and headed off, while the chiggers ran all over these pants you gave me. They seemed disoriented but moving. By the time we got home we had a headache from the smell, and most of the chiggers were dead.

After showering I had just about 10 stuck to me and I have yet to see anything occurring from them.

I have not had a tick on me in 6 weeks. It appears they have quieted down. In any event it was a GREAT day :)

Guy

I still wear rubber boots, even in the summer. When I saw that photo of you by the stone in sneakers I got a bad feeling you were gonna get it.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
BobM said:
I still wear rubber boots, even in the summer. When I saw that photo of you by the stone in sneakers I got a bad feeling you were gonna get it.

OK, so it's not just me. I looked at that photo and thought : He's kneeling in the brush! and his pant legs aren't tucked into his socks! He's going to get it!

Gillian

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
That was just a puddle Dave, in the road. It has a clay bottom in that area so even in a drought it holds water from any rain for quite a while. I don't think the snake needed it, the weather was about 81 degrees today and fairly dry.

Dave,

Here is the road in 1979 showing my friends Land Cruiser. The road is always wet and very muddy. That was the main way into our camp in the Forked River Mountains. The mud would stick on our tires and fly off onto whoever was in the back. We called them mud pies.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/885-1/1979.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/889-1/1979_.jpg

At camp. My 1978 Land Cruiser in the distance, his 1972 up front.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/893-1/1979_1.jpg

Guy

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Hey, Guy,
That must have been just after the big drought of the 60's broke? And back in the days of film, eh? Do you use a slide duplicator with your digital camera or just a macro lens ... or a scanner? They look good.

Man, I do wish that back in the 60's I'd had a vehicle like those you and friends play in! In my ol' '49 Ford Businessman's Coupe I had to seriously avoid even a dampish sand track, not that there were many of them during the drought. I'm sure some dry wadis I knew in those days are now freely bubbling brooks!

Dave

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
uuglypher said:
Hey, Guy,
That must have been just after the big drought of the 60's broke? And back in the days of film, eh? Do you use a slide duplicator with your digital camera or just a macro lens ... or a scanner? They look good.

Man, I do wish that back in the 60's I'd had a vehicle like those you and friends play in! In my ol' '49 Ford Businessman's Coupe I had to seriously avoid even a dampish sand track, not that there were many of them during the drought. I'm sure some dry wadis I knew in those days are now freely bubbling brooks!

Dave

They actualy are slides and I had to use a slide scanner to turn them digital. If you notice on the right they are all dark, and that is because I was having problems with my camera shutter not opening all the way.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
About chiggers... the past 5 weeks i've been getting them... week after week after week. Over and over! I finially got rid of them and went hiking last saturday in a location i've never gotten chiggers before. Well wouldn't you know? It was my lucky day... coming out of some brush i peared down and saw chiggers spreading out all around my hiking pants like the devils they are.. and you think i'm puting up with that for another 2 weeks? HA! I tore my pants off on the trail then and there and threw them in the woods until i pick them up next week. Luckily my friend had an extra pair of shorts so i was good.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
HA! I tore my pants off on the trail then and there and threw them in the woods until i pick them up next week. Luckily my friend had an extra pair of shorts so i was good.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Brandon -

Since you were "...on the trail..." you undoubtedly learned that the borrowed shorts may have served to protect your modesty, but certainly not those tender ... nether ... regions to which the chiggers immedately found a more direct route!

Also, your friend had a "...spare pair of shorts..." which would indicate that he or she actually wore a pair of shorts into the pines in chigger season. You really need to choose your friends more carefully .... or at least your companions on forays into the chigger-laden pines!

Dave

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
yeah....... i've hiked this park for 5 years- first time i've gotten them here. I think i only got about 5 bites because i took my pants off when the first got on me- you know when you look down and see those balls of evil