TO HOW CLOSE THE HURRICANE WILL COME TO THE U.S. EAST COAST."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is a little curious.... NWS has the following forecast

Thursday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday: A chance of showers before 5pm. Mostly cloudy and breezy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 81.

However, their projected storm track has Earl almost knocking on our door. Seems like we should have a higher probability of a significant rain event...

145314W_NL_sm.gif

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Don't know about anyone else, but so far this has been "the hurricane that wasn't" for me. Winds are light, I would call them a "breeze". No measurable rain so far, just a very light sprinkle that wasn't even enough to wet down the dust. Right now, the sun is actually shining. Of course, this could all change. But so far it doesn't look like Earl is going to be much help for the drought conditions around me.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I took a drive thru the pines on my way to LBI today and Earl sure didn't produce much. There was a bit of wind, but nothing dramatic. A lot of people were walking on the beach watching some rough surf but that's about it. Brief showers at the shore and in the Eastern area of the pines. Western regions of the pines that I traveled thru saw no rain.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Earl was a dud. Guess I shouldn't complain because the alternative of wind damage and flooding would have been nasty. But I really hoped we'd get some rain. No rain at all in the forecast through next Friday so the drought continues. Hope we can avoid forest fires.