I finally tracked the Snowy Owl!!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Congrats, I'm headed to Stone Habor tomorrow to try my luck. It won't be staying around much longer. I was surprised to find the Crossbills still at Brig.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very Nice!! I used to go looking for owls all the time when I was a kid. I only have a very vague recollection of seeing a snowy owl once when I was very young and I could be mistaken. that is a rare sight!! and great photo. I once saw a saw-whet owl. Nearly touched it! My one and only encounter with that one.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are nice photo's! Is the location where it is at cordoned off? Is it safe there?

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
The woman representing the Audubon Society at the "Lines" event yesterday was talking to a group about your photo. She said someone had sent her a photo of the Snowy Owl on Stone Harbor Point. That exciting news didn't take long to get around, huh? Congrats on your accomplishment....the photograph is fantastic!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Not sure why I'm posting this here, but this is the thread I think of when I listen to what I mention below.

I've been listening to an audio version of To See Every Bird on Earth: A Father, a Son, and a Lifelong Obsession, by Dan Koeppel, which has prompted me to wonder if any of the members on this forum keep life lists and, if so, how many bird species he or she has recorded seeing. Koeppel's book about his father and his birding obsession is fascinating. It's amazing what the a dozen or so birders whose lists have accumulated to around the 7,000 number (I'm pretty sure I heard the worldwide species count is approaching 10,000) go through to reach these heights. I think I have about a dozen checked off in the back of my Peterson's Field Guide ... did that the day I bought the book. :)

Traveling the world searching for rare birds seems like a nice pastime. I think I'll retire now and go do it.

Whip

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Hey Whip, I have always kept a life list for the past 30 years . Although most of the birds are repeats I never give up hope that i'll se that one bird I have never seen. Life Lists are important because they keep track of your sightings so there is no confusion , they show what birds have been seen in any given area. I can only guess since i've never counted that i've seen over two hundred different kinds , this is actually not that many birds since there are thousands .I keep it light , fun and educational and I also follow the leader. there is always someone who sees more knows more and i follow there lead as to locations of species

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Also , one more bit of info , "Big Year is a awesome book as to what lenghts birders do go to , to see a bird Not sure of the Author but it is called the Big Year, easy enough, Good Luck on your birding Jaunts and don't get frustrated LOL!

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I love it to much to compete, takes the fun out of it for me , but there are those whom thrive on competition and those stories i do love reading