I found the Pine plains!! thanks everyone here are the photos!

Nov 8, 2007
Thankyou everyone who gave me directions and advice about the pine plains! It took me over 20 mins to work up the courage to finally find the line that I wasnt supposed to cross lol

1280877950.jpg

1280877952.jpg

1280877949.jpg

1280877947.jpg

1280877953.jpg

1280877956.jpg

Thanks for the warning TeeGate!
1280877958.jpg

1280877960.jpg

1280878139.jpg

Some of that dwarf Blackjack Oak
1280878141.jpg

Its actually amazing how diverse NJ really is, some southerners on another forum that I frequent say that this photo and a photo I posted of a typical pine barrens dirt road look like they could easily have been taken in the deep south! Yet you can go up to northwestern Jersey and take photos and Im almost sure people in Maine would say it resembles and area up there... truly a wonderful state we have!
1280878142.jpg

Oh and quick question... I saw a sign near Bass River state park's entrance that they are having a Bear talk??? anybody know about this? Are bears more common now in the pines than back in 05 to where they are having talks about them? Is anybody going????

Reactions: HalfTread and John

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Lovely vistas! You get the feeling like you're the only one out there for miles and miles. Nice lake reflections too. Bass River has a varied nature program and they provide many programs for the public. Since there has been official documentation of bear in this area (past/present), the NJ parks do well to educate the public. Most likely is the same presentation as in the past. I heard that Batsto is having FREE canoe tours (2+ hours) on the lake with a guide. They provide the canoes! You can call the nature center and sign up 609-567-4559. That's kind of interesting as well. Enjoy your summer and thanks for the photos.

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad you were able to find your way there. Now you just need to return a few times and roam around and explore more since there always are interesting places to see. Take notice of the plants and flowers, look for fossils in the stones, and then move on to another interesting area in the pines that you want to find next.

BYW, it appears you were on Bombing Range Road, and here is a photo from 1979 of the building that was located at the very peak of it where you may have noticed a concrete slab.

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/2161/title/building-at-the-warren/cat/238

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Oh and quick question... I saw a sign near Bass River state park's entrance that they are having a Bear talk??? anybody know about this? Are bears more common now in the pines than back in 05 to where they are having talks about them? Is anybody going????[/QUOTE]

there were a rash of bear sightings a couple summers ago.they were spotted in every south jersey county.at least some of these sightings were actually legit but alas I have no news on sightings last summer or this one.I'd definitely like to see bears in the barrens but there are many terrified of them who would rather not.I fear any that show up may end up on the wrong side of a pineys gun.
You were in the largest plains usually referred to as the lower plains.I think their the best for views and short trees.the upper plains are even larger but the trees tend to be a bit taller but for the most isolated also with a few really nice vistas is spring hill plains.You will most likely be alone out there without the annoying bombing practise your subjected to at lower plains six days a week,that is if they've started bombing again which I'm not sure of.been there twice since the fire and have heard no bombing
Also if you want a look at canada then find some nice meadows backed by cedar swamps and it does look a lot like canada.some meadows on the lower tulpehocken come to mind.
Al

Nov 8, 2007

Regarding the empty concrete slab... yeah I noticed that and was almost going to park my car on it but opted to just park on the side of the dirt road so as not to appear suspicious in any way! Thanks for th photo!

And yes lol that is my site... I am admittedly a southern plant nut and love palm trees and southern plants both native and non-native since we are blessed to have many southern plants that end their range up here in our great state. Im sure your aware of them willow oak, water oak, loblolly pine, shortleaf pine, virginia pine, blackjack oak, southern wax myrtle and on and on.... I am looking to increase my knowledge on the smaller flora as well like you mentioned... alot of people arent aware that you can grow hardy palms in NJ especially southern and coastal parts... the big three as we call them are in order of hardiness needle palm, sabal minor, and trachycarpus fortunei. I have all three at my house and do not provide any protection except a mulch mound for my young trachy in winter. The trachy is the least hardy and may not be long term hardy in South Jersey but the needle and minor can both survive 0F to -5F for short durations when established which is rare at least out here on the outer coastal plain we in Lawnside, NJ are a USDA zone 7a so our normal winter lows are 0F to 5F... in the pine barrens Im not sure with all that sandy soil you might be 6b? where negative temps are a bit more common... but my oldest planting is the needle palm and its been in the ground unprotected for 5 winters and survived 3F like it was nothing!

If your interested in hardy palms and other southern trees and or just enjoy horticulture and other knowledgable folk for company visit these sites:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hardypalmsandmore
This is another youtube site that I started... basically its supposed to be a community site where anyone can post vids of their hardy palms and subtropicals but as of now I and a fellow from Ontario are the only ones posting. On there you can see the Johnny Appleseed of palms in NJ his name is Steve and he plants palms all around Palmyra, Willingboro, Trenton and a few other places... its under Botanical Wonderland. And at the very bottom is my house and palms minus the new Trachy I just got. And i also lots of NJ vids showing stuff around here like a massive Southern Magnolia I found in Stratford.

http://members3.boardhost.com/joe02917/index.html?1281188688
A message board with a focus on Hardy palms and the people that grow them in the NE. This is where got my start and learned basically all i know.

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/
This forum is larger and has mainly southerners on it and requires a moderator issued password so it took me a while to get on this board because of that since they were slow to respond to emails. But alot of good knowledge and mostly nice folk though im told that a small few still dont take to yankees very well at least at the onset lol. But i frequently post pics and vids of what I call "the real NJ". Vids and pics of Salem county farmland, the Pine Plains, etc etc and they have really taken to that well and are surprised of course that we actually have open land in NJ.... darn Northeastern NJ.

Anyway as you see you got me way OT but I love that kinda stuff so I apologize. thanks again for helping me find the plains. Enjoy!

Nov 8, 2007
[/QUOTE]there were a rash of bear sightings a couple summers ago.they were spotted in every south jersey county.at least some of these sightings were actually legit but alas I have no news on sightings last summer or this one.I'd definitely like to see bears in the barrens but there are many terrified of them who would rather not.I fear any that show up may end up on the wrong side of a pineys gun.
You were in the largest plains usually referred to as the lower plains.I think their the best for views and short trees.the upper plains are even larger but the trees tend to be a bit taller but for the most isolated also with a few really nice vistas is spring hill plains.You will most likely be alone out there without the annoying bombing practise your subjected to at lower plains six days a week,that is if they've started bombing again which I'm not sure of.been there twice since the fire and have heard no bombing
Also if you want a look at canada then find some nice meadows backed by cedar swamps and it does look a lot like canada.some meadows on the lower tulpehocken come to mind.
Al
Wow thanks I also would like to see bears back in the pines.. it would add to the wilderness feel that I already get in those wonderful woods. And thanks for the info about spring hill plains and the meadows Im just an amateur pine barrens explorer and have alot to see!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I actually live in the next town from you and travel through Lawnside every day.My daughters went to school with one of the Still family girls that lived in an old funeral home on Warwick road. I took my daughter there a few times for evening parties.

Thanks for the links. I will look them over.

Guy

Nov 8, 2007
Lovely vistas! You get the feeling like you're the only one out there for miles and miles. Nice lake reflections too. Bass River has a varied nature program and they provide many programs for the public. Since there has been official documentation of bear in this area (past/present), the NJ parks do well to educate the public. Most likely is the same presentation as in the past. I heard that Batsto is having FREE canoe tours (2+ hours) on the lake with a guide. They provide the canoes! You can call the nature center and sign up 609-567-4559. That's kind of interesting as well. Enjoy your summer and thanks for the photos.

turtle

Thanks for looking and thanks for the info Im definitely interested thats a nice long time for a free tour!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow thanks I also would like to see bears back in the pines.. it would add to the wilderness feel that I already get in those wonderful woods. And thanks for the info about spring hill plains and the meadows Im just an amateur pine barrens explorer and have alot to see!

The chance of seeing them are remote since I don't know of anyone on this site who has viewed one. I saw a video from Channel 6 showing one on Savoy Blvd. in Chatsworth a few years back.

Guy

Nov 8, 2007
I actually live in the next town from you and travel through Lawnside every day.My daughters went to school with one of the Still family girls that lived in an old funeral home on Warwick road. I took my daughter there a few times for evening parties.

Thanks for the links. I will look them over.

Guy

Oh wow cool! Yeah I am a Still as well, I no longer have the last name because my Great granmother Alberta Still obviously lost it when she got married but yeah huge family that almost relates just about everyone in Lawnside lol .... and yeah I think thats Carl Miller funeral home. Small world!

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
Bald Cypress

Regarding the empty concrete slab... yeah I noticed that and was almost going to park my car on it but opted to just park on the side of the dirt road so as not to appear suspicious in any way! Thanks for th photo!

And yes lol that is my site... I am admittedly a southern plant nut and love palm trees and southern plants both native and non-native since we are blessed to have many southern plants that end their range up here in our great state. Im sure your aware of them willow oak, water oak, loblolly pine, shortleaf pine, virginia pine, blackjack oak, southern wax myrtle and on and on.... I am looking to increase my knowledge on the smaller flora as well like you mentioned... alot of people arent aware that you can grow hardy palms in NJ especially southern and coastal parts... the big three as we call them are in order of hardiness needle palm, sabal minor, and trachycarpus fortunei. I have all three at my house and do not provide any protection except a mulch mound for my young trachy in winter. The trachy is the least hardy and may not be long term hardy in South Jersey but the needle and minor can both survive 0F to -5F for short durations when established which is rare at least out here on the outer coastal plain we in Lawnside, NJ are a USDA zone 7a so our normal winter lows are 0F to 5F... in the pine barrens Im not sure with all that sandy soil you might be 6b? where negative temps are a bit more common... but my oldest planting is the needle palm and its been in the ground unprotected for 5 winters and survived 3F like it was nothing!

If your interested in hardy palms and other southern trees and or just enjoy horticulture and other knowledgable folk for company visit these sites:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hardypalmsandmore
This is another youtube site that I started... basically its supposed to be a community site where anyone can post vids of their hardy palms and subtropicals but as of now I and a fellow from Ontario are the only ones posting. On there you can see the Johnny Appleseed of palms in NJ his name is Steve and he plants palms all around Palmyra, Willingboro, Trenton and a few other places... its under Botanical Wonderland. And at the very bottom is my house and palms minus the new Trachy I just got. And i also lots of NJ vids showing stuff around here like a massive Southern Magnolia I found in Stratford.

http://members3.boardhost.com/joe02917/index.html?1281188688
A message board with a focus on Hardy palms and the people that grow them in the NE. This is where got my start and learned basically all i know.

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/
This forum is larger and has mainly southerners on it and requires a moderator issued password so it took me a while to get on this board because of that since they were slow to respond to emails. But alot of good knowledge and mostly nice folk though im told that a small few still dont take to yankees very well at least at the onset lol. But i frequently post pics and vids of what I call "the real NJ". Vids and pics of Salem county farmland, the Pine Plains, etc etc and they have really taken to that well and are surprised of course that we actually have open land in NJ.... darn Northeastern NJ.

Anyway as you see you got me way OT but I love that kinda stuff so I apologize. thanks again for helping me find the plains. Enjoy!

Don't forget to add the 2 Bald Cypress trees to that list! (one of my favorite trees) There's a video on youtube somewhere.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

They are here, confirmed as recently as July by NJF&W very near where I live, but they do range quite far. You will be fortunate to see one, you'll have a better chance of seeing evidence of their passing thru, but keep you camera handy. You never know :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Don't forget to add the 2 Bald Cypress trees to that list! (one of my favorite trees) There's a video on youtube somewhere.

That was made by Barry Caselli and is at this link.

Here is a small article I posted about them from the Batsto Citizens Gazette.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09242009/cypress.jpg

And if you want to follow the posts about it on Barry's site start here at post 7972.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ghosttownsofsouthernnj/messages/7968

Guy

Nov 8, 2007
That was made by Barry Caselli and is at this link.

Here is a small article I posted about them from the Batsto Citizens Gazette.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/09242009/cypress.jpg

And if you want to follow the posts about it on Barry's site start here at post 7972.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ghosttownsofsouthernnj/messages/7968

Guy

Im glad this was brought up because I think that I have stumbled upon another population... these photos were taken down that path right next to Batsto the one that branches off to the left of the larger path that takes you to the lake...

I think these are cypress knees:

1281308084.jpg

1281308080.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

No, they are old cedar posts for a previous bridge. You will find them all over the pines under bridges, next to bridges, and where old bridges were previously at. In any event, it is nice to see you are going places and making assumptions. A good way to learn.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am planning an early morning sunrise photo shoot in the Plains with Rob from work, and I wanted to find the best location to do this. I knew where I wanted to go but not the exact location, so Jessica and I visited the area late yesterday to pick the spot. After roaming around for a little while I settled on the below location. We have to plan the time we get up, the ride there, and the 25 minute walk in the dark to access this location so we get to see sunrise as we want to.

Guy