I got cancer.....

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Well, I am only 21 and got cancer. I had a wart looking thing on the side of my head so I decided to get it checked out. So I went to the dermatologist, he said it looks just like an average normal wart, nothing to worry about. So I decided to get it removed and he sent it to the lab just to be sure. I get a call today (a week later) and they found Basal Cell cancer cells in the wart. The doctor says it's 100% treatable and I am going to be just fine. But it is just wierd to think that I have cancer. I just need to get it off my chest. I got a prescription for some ointment that I am supposed to put on where the wart was and that is supposed to help clear anything that is left. Another option is surgery but I really hope it dosen't have to go that far. I have been reading that it is the most common form of cancer. It's still just weird for me to think about. Now I better quit smoking before I end up with lung cancer. What a day.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Oh, you had me scared for a minute. When my dad was older he started getting these (fair skin, decades in the sun, standard profile). They can scrape, burn or freeze them off. I was surprised to read about the ointment. They didn't have that years ago when he was being treated. Don't get too upset if it has to be removed. After my fathers one BCC surgical removal I looked at the incision and was amazed at how tiny it was.

I know you've been read the riot act about sun exposure. Also interesting I just read that exposure to or ingestion of arsenic as well as tattooing can increas the risk of getting BCC.

Good luck with that...and don't forget your hat!

Gillian

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That sucks, but at the same time I am sure you are going to be fine. My sister had basal cell also in several places. She had to have surgury but some of what they found was treatable by the ointment. She had to have her nose completely opened up and it amazes me how well it healed...It sounds like you aren't going to have to have surgury. Good luck.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
My dad has the same thing it is a benign cancer, as said early fair skin people get this from too much sun exposure. I agree it sucks being so young and having that happen to you. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with cancer. I'm now 24 and five years out. I definetly isn't something I wanted to deal with at that age but to be honest it only makes you stronger and more resilent, and makes those little things in life alot more precious. You'll get through it man hang in there.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I too am glad to hear it's treatable. My dad's been going through it for the last 10 years. Recently, my wife's had a few spots removed. Best of luck & our prayers are with you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe another member of this site had that, and he is doing well.

Please stop the smoking in any event. It just isn't worth it.

It is nice to see so many kind words.

Guy