I had heard the DEP did this in the early 80's but I was skeptical. August 4th 1981

When I was a kid my neighbor talked about the (supposedly implemented) plan to release black cats to handle the deer population in the 1950s. I, too, was always skeptical about this story, but now wonder if it wasn't a misremembered/misreported retelling of this policy, or perhaps an earlier version of it.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Although I don't remember any official protests, I know (personally) one blueberry farmer who wasn't exactly happy with the thought of black bears in his fields. As I've never seen a black bear in the pines, I assumed the state never implemented the plan.
Greg

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Don't forget all the bear sightings around Jackson a few years back . . .

as far as hibernation . . . black bears exist on the coastal plain successfully in other places, so it could be possible here. One expanding potential for bear hibernation sites might be existing coyote dens. They're certainly close to big enough right off the bat, and honestly I see more and more coyotes every year, so there must be a wealth of large holes in the ground out there.

I agree I don't think it ever happened. That being said, they have been sighted as far as Toms River (Winding River, near the site of the old Toms River Chemical Plant). When I went on a hike with a ranger at Bass River about 6 months back, she made mention of some reports coming in of one wandering the woods surrounding the lake, as well as a few print findings; grain of salt, of course.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
When I was a kid my neighbor talked about the (supposedly implemented) plan to release black cats to handle the deer population in the 1950s.

Maybe the theory was the black cats would cross the path of the deer and then they would be hexed with bad luck, step out in front of truck and be killed ???
This could explain a lot of the road kills over the last 60 years.
:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There are more bruins per square mile in NJ than any other state, and they have spread far and wide with some relocation help in the early years by F&W. That plan was developed when the populations in the north really started to grow, but wasn't implemented due to the few meetings that were held and since the bruins were already making the journey unaided.

Bear season starts in 2 weeks, coincides with the firearm deer season.

bear_sightings_map.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
contrary to popular thought bears do not have to go underground to den.they will often hole up under a root ball from a fallen tree or in a hollow tree if they find one big enough.they will also curl right up on the ground next to a tree finding no better place and go to sleep right there.they actually do not truly hibernate but sleep lightly.If you walk up to one and snap a twig it may very well wake up and they can run or fight immediately upon waking whcih made it a test of courage to Indian youths to sneak up on one during hibernation and cut a patch of hair from it's hide without waking it and getting away unscathed.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
That was going to be my question...where would they sleep? I know Bass River has signs and pamphlets warning about black bears, but I have never truly believed there were any around (even though I DO believe in cougars in the pines, oh, my).

Being from upstate NY, I could not imagine bears being here with the lack of "lairs".

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
Bears

That was going to be my question...where would they sleep? I know Bass River has signs and pamphlets warning about black bears, but I have never truly believed there were any around (even though I DO believe in cougars in the pines, oh, my).

Being from upstate NY, I could not imagine bears being here with the lack of "lairs".

I've heard a few siting stories over the last 4-5 years, didn't know what to make of those. Despite covering many, many of miles in the Pines and spending lots of time in remote spots - I've never seen any evidence of bears.

I did see a photo of a bear taken near the River Road Clam House (I think the photo was posted inside the new clam house). So I guess there is at least one in that area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We know for a fact they have been in Chatsworth because the video was on Channel 6 and one of the witnesses was a prominent cranberry grower. One was also found in Ocean County dead. So they in fact have been here, but I don't see them being able to stay around.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I kind of feel like the state may have tried this a couple years back as well. It seemed like 4-5 years ago there was alot of bear sightings in various counties in south jersey but I haven't heard of any sightings until this past summer. I know of a confirmed sighting in Warren Grove and also around the Wading in Washington Township this year.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
From what I have been told there was a hunter this fall that shot a deer in the pines and had a bear feeding on his kill. The story is he shot it right before dark and came back to recover it in the morning only to find a large bear feeding on it and the bear was very aggressive and only left the kill after alot of yelling at it.

Rumor has it that the state was relocating problem bears from up north to the Pines. I do not know how true that is. They must have fit that in when they were not stocking coyotes.:rolleyes:

Chris

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I did see a photo of a bear taken near the River Road Clam House (I think the photo was posted inside the new clam house). So I guess there is at least one in that area.

I can confirm that I was there and witnessed the said bear eating out of the dumpster at the Clam House. Yes, the photo is posted inside the Clam House and was part of an article in the Burl. Co. Times. Other locals sighted it off and on for a few weeks until someone documented it swimming across the Mullica River to the Atlantic Co. side. Shortly after, the trail was lost. That summer, I also sighted a bear crossing Rt. 542 in Green Bank.
Two years ago there were 1 or 2 bears roaming the Wading River/Lower Bank/Green Bank areas. Often seen on Turtle Creek Road and in the old blueberry fields in Lower Bank (Rt. 542). Everyone who lived nearby would stop to watch it feed. God only knows where they ended up.

p.s. Every bear seen in these parts in the last 10 years sports a nifty decorative tag (or two) in its ear(s).

0604_tagged.JPG

turtle :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
So they in fact have been here, but I don't see them being able to stay around.

Guy

Why don't you see them being able to stay around? and where would they go to? They used to be indigenuious to the pines so why would they have trouble living here now? There is plenty of room compared to North Jersey. Perhaps they have moved to more suburbian areas since they are known for adapting well to human influence...feeding on garbage and so on.

Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We know for a fact they have been in Chatsworth because the video was on Channel 6 and one of the witnesses was a prominent cranberry grower. One was also found in Ocean County dead. So they in fact have been here, but I don't see them being able to stay around.

Guy

The pines are prime habitat for them. The graph is from the F&W bear management report. The females have denned and the males will be denning toward the end of the year. As mentioned, they do not hibernate, but enter a state of topor, with a reduced heartbeat and breathing, but can be awoken in a very bad mood if you happen to disturb them. If the state schedules any additional 'bear aware' sessions, try to get to one, Bass River used to have them. Great information given out.

5192085314_60200efc4e_z.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

they would need some kind of lair if they had cubs but there were plenty of bear in south jersey back in the early settlement days according to early witnesses.The geology has not changes since then only land use patterns.If bear could make it then they could make it here now given enough space to forage.I have read many reports of bears in mid winter found asleep curled up at the base of a tree covered with snow much like a Husky will do.
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We had a sow den up under our deck at the cabin we had in upstate NY. Would never have known it if the dog hadn't kept sniffing around in that area. I kept a lot of left over building material there from when we built the place. I had NY DEC come by to take a look; they said they would move her if we wanted, but we let her be. Eventually she had 2 cubs, which DEC ear tagged. Unfortunately we were not there when they left.

A good photo series on how Maine manages their bruins. Note how little is required for a den.

http://www.crownofmaine.com/paulcyr/stories/bear-monitoring-2009/