I have a unrelated ?.......

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Ok I am taking a trip down to Delaware tomorrow for business for the day. I am interested in buy a BB gun because I miss my old one I had when I was a kid. My question is, is it illegal for someone that resides in NJ to go to Delaware and buy one from say Wal mart or another retailer? I've read through the laws for DE and found nothing. Does anybody know?

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
It's probably illegal to own a slingshot in NJ. My husband, retired military and a guy who used to hunt completely lost it when he read a couple years ago that retired cops couldn't get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Yes, guess you have to be a criminal to do that.

Gillian

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
First of all I'd like to say hello and this is an awesome site. All I'll say is that I work for a state agency and buying a BB gun in Delaware and keeping it in NJ if you are a NJ resident without a firearms permit is a big no no. I understand that it is silly, to me anyway, but that's how it is. A BB gun is considered a firearm in NJ so you need the permit. I think if the gun is operated by gas, like a BB gun, you need a permit. If it is operated by a spring, like a cheap plastic pellet gun, you are ok. I know a lot of kids are getting in trouble for having those Soft Air pistols, the laws are pending in NJ for them. I guess you could get Unlawful Poss. of a Weapon, but that's if you ever get caught, lol. I won't tell.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Oh yea one other thing. You can 100% get in trouble for having a slingshot. Maybe at home you can, but if it is in arms reach in your car, they might not like it. If you are not a police officer it is just about impossible to carry a concealed weapon in NJ, even if you are a retired officer. The judge will listen to you, but will then tell you to go pound sand. But hey, look on the good side, we get to pay just about the highest taxes in the US and the highest car insurance rates. Plus the state is almost broke. Gotta love it. Honestly thought, great website.

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
Gerania said:
It's probably illegal to own a slingshot in NJ. My husband, retired military and a guy who used to hunt completely lost it when he read a couple years ago that retired cops couldn't get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Yes, guess you have to be a criminal to do that.

Gillian

I could rant on about gun ownership but I won't...at least not now :) Oh, what the hell--I believe in gun ownership for law abiding citizens. Many years ago, my dad was murdered by two idiots who robbed and shot him on the pretense that they were legit cab fares. They got less than $5...and got out less than 20 years after (can you tell I am in favor of the death penalty?). He was shot with a saw off .22...probably gained the weapon out on the streets for next to nothing. Anyway, I applied for and got my firearms ID as soon as I was notified that those idiots were out of incarceration. It took me damn near 6 months and over $800 to legally obtain a handgun. That's the approximately $100 cost of the permits, the waiting time and the $700 cost of the handgun (Browning 9mm 13+1). After no longer needing the gun, I sold it back to the professional gun dealer I purchased it from. I no longer own any weapons (I have kids, no need for one, etc.), but to this day cannot understand why it's so easy to pick one up off the street and so hard to legally apply for a weapon permit. I will now jump off this soapbox... :D

Not sure if it's illegal to actually own one in New Jersey but if you are CAUGHT with one, it's considered possesion of a weapon in the state of New Jersey

NJ 2C:39-3
e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his
possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,
dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,
slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with
metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic
knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty
of a crime of the fourth degree.

Heather in SJ

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
--Eleanor Roosevelt, 1937

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PBJ1971 said:
Many years ago, my dad was murdered by two idiots who robbed and shot him on the pretense that they were legit cab fares. They got less than $5...and got out less than 20 years after (can you tell I am in favor of the death penalty?).

Heather, I am sorry about your dad. If you don't mind my asking, do you keep tabs on the people who did it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Heather, I am sorry about your dad. If you don't mind my asking, do you keep tabs on the people who did it?

She mentions she no longer needs the gun, so she must have taken care of them :)

Guy

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
BobM said:

Yeah, actually I do; my parents, my sister and I moved out to San Diego and where there less than 3 months when my dad was killed. They guys names are are James T. Johnson (17 at the time) and Roderick G. Cooper (19 at the time). Why worry when they are out in California, you ask? Well, I was told they were coming out to apologize (I was listed by my maiden name in the phone book)...

Sorry about having gone on that tangent...and thank you Bob :)

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
TeeGate said:
She mentions she no longer needs the gun, so she must have taken care of them :)

Guy

LOL! Oh, the luck...don't know where they are now but I am not listed anywhere by my maiden name anymore. They were released from incarceration in the summer of 1997. Hopefully they've dropped off the face of the earth by their own hand...

Heather in SJ