I just had to post this.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
But....in the article says there was a proposed blanket ban on distracted driving. If there are not already laws on the books for that, then I'm all for it. I have seen many people round turns with their head down sideways with their phone held between their shoulder and their ear. That is a stupid thing to do that puts others in danger.

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
I guess children will have to be placed in a separate trailer, to be towed behind the parents' car. Kids are the very definition of distraction.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The only effective way to save all our lives is to ban driving, period. It totally freaks me out when I'm behind someone and their brake lights go on, causing me to take evasive action to maintain my speed. :jeffd:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Makes me proud to know that things are going so well in New Jersey that our legislators have time to waste on such nonsense. In the end it's all about collecting money in fines. This is what really kills me:

New Jersey also already has a law against careless driving, which carries a $100 fine and two points on your license.

46'er, you are right. Since the government is so determined to "protect" us, they should just outlaw driving completely.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is a stupid thing to do that puts others in danger.

I am with you Bob, although I don't think we need additional legislation to cure it.
I was doing some centerline control surveying a few weeks ago on 322 outside of Glassboro last month and the number of people texting and driving scared me and pissed me off at the same time.
People had no respect for me standing in the middle of the road and looked up from their texts just in time to miss my leg.
I would have liked to pop out a few windshields but they already have laws against that too.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
But were people driving dangerously because they were using their GPS? The thing is, we already have a law against careless driving. If somebody creates a hazard because they are texting, talking, fiddling with their GPS, eating a cheeseburger or whatever, why can't we just enforce that?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I am with you Bob, although I don't think we need additional legislation to cure it.
....... the number of people texting and driving scared me and pissed me off at the same time.....
Could not agree with you more. It amazes me how many people I see talking and texting on the cellphone while driving when commuting back and forth to work. I have been cutoff by the slow driving cellphone talkers and would have loved to have a cop around the time. If a few cops were placed at major intersections and ticketed every user on a cellphone, we could eliminate the state debt in weeks!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In my 25 odd years as a commuter on the GSP riding as a passenger and observer in a van, it is trully amazing what folks are capable of doing while traveling over the ground at 70+ mph :D

If the urge to program a GPS while driving is too overpowering, most GPS's have the option of preventing that with a click of a button if folks were so inclined.

Enforce existing laws before creating new ones.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Just enforce the already existing laws. You don't need 400 new laws and you know it's just a way to raise more money. The government and/or the police do not care about your safety, they just want your money!

To stray off topic a bit. Why don't they make the drivers test more difficult? The written test and the driving test can be done by a monkey loaded up on percocets. If we taught kids how to actually DRIVE a car maybe they wouldn't be so dangerous on the road. But why would we do that? If people could actually drive the state would not be able to make money off of them the rest of their lives.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If we taught kids how to actually DRIVE a car maybe they wouldn't be so dangerous on the road. But why would we do that? If people could actually drive the state would not be able to make money off of them the rest of their lives.

Could not agree more. Both my boys had to attend a 1 day driving school run by Skip Barber at Lime Rock Park in CT. It's one of the best investments I've ever made, the cost at the time was less than a years insurance premium, plus its fun, I took the course with each of them :) I did it because I care about my kids. IMO the state driving test is useless, the written part is not.

http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_school/mazda/driving_school.aspx

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Makes me proud to know that things are going so well in New Jersey that our legislators have time to waste on such nonsense. In the end it's all about collecting money in fines. This is what really kills me:

46'er, you are right. Since the government is so determined to "protect" us, they should just outlaw driving completely.

That and the 'feel good' but unecessary laws like you can only buy one handgun a month in a state where you need a card to own a long gun and another card to buy a handgun. The process is one of the most regulated on the country and now you can only do it once a month [like you could get a card that fast!]...Next time they will limit to one each alternating thursday...they are micro-micro managing instead of solving the tax problems, etc.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
That and the 'feel good' but unecessary laws like you can only buy one handgun a month in a state where you need a card to own a long gun and another card to buy a handgun. The process is one of the most regulated on the country and now you can only do it once a month [like you could get a card that fast!]...Next time they will limit to one each alternating thursday...they are micro-micro managing instead of solving the tax problems, etc.

Thank god we have the NJ government here to protect us- Sarcasm off

I wonder if people who purchase handguns illegally to use in robberies and murders have to abide by the one hand gun a month rule?

I wish that the people that mad the laws in NJ had a fing brain cell among the entire group of them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i need to see results of a survey explaining which is more dangerous.drivers driving with a gps that talks to them or they must look at or lost drivers going wrong ways up one ways and busting u turns in four laned heavily travelled roads.next law will be thou shalt not drive lost.
Al