I want a gun...

... aka, the "Making RednekF350 feel wanted" thread... :)

What steps do I need to take to own a firearm in New Jersey before I actually go out and buy a gun? My ulterior motive is not the Flyers recent nosedive, but to ultimately be able to take my my Boy Scouts to a firing range and have them shoot a rifle.

Once I have that squared away, any suggestions on good, dependable rifles at decent prices? I've been window shopping at Dicks for months, but I really don't know the difference between models and such...

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
i asked my boyfriend and he said ruger mini 14. he says the .223 is light enough to carry, and strong enough to put down next to anything you encounter. reliable, accurate, and close range, with plenty of accessories. also cheap!
he knows his guns, i'd check it out!

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
when my father purchased me an air rifle (for my 13th b-day) i guess in 1992.. you could not believe the process in NJ. he had never owned a gun and had no gun licenses, permits, etc. it was quite extensive. he eventually used a different avenue (suggested to him by a supplier in NJ)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
It's pretty ridiculous what one has to go through just to practice their 2nd amendment right to bear arms!
More gun control=more power to criminals who have less of a chance being stopped by armed citizens.

Unfortunately my mother loved gun control, and wouldn't let my father teach me how to shoot.
No wonder they got a divorce!:bang:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
An air rifle is a good choice for a first gun. I'm not talking about the toy-like Red Ryder from the Christmas Story (You'll shoot your eye out kid!). There are some serious airguns out there that can cost way in excess of what any .22 will cost. The advantage of an airgun is that you can learn gun safetly and marksmenship while shooting cheaply and quietly in your yard, basement or garage, without having to spend time and money to travel to a range or find a place in the woods to shoot (that's getting harder all the time).

The next step up would be a .22. I'd shy away from semi autos for new shooters. It's too easy for an inexperienced finger to touch off multiple, unintended shots. It's also easy to get carried away with the fun of spraying lead downrange and never get around to the careful, well aimed shooting that a bolt action tends to encourage. I picked up a Henry lever action .22 a few years ago that I have a ball shooting. My sons like the accuracy of the scoped bolt gun better. I guess you have to be an old fart brought up watching westerns to appreciate a lever gun.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
the air rifle i have is a Crosman (spelling?) I think its max power is 760 fps .. not 100% sure though. god, we bought it at a BEST in PA. those stores aren't even around anymore. i think i bought a box of 5000 bb's.. i still have over half the box.. i think. maybe less. i wanna go shoot some targets..

this past summer, my friends father introduced me to trap shooting, at Pine Belt, in shamong.. now that's fun ! i used my uncles old double barrel 20 gauge for awhile.. i got a lot of funny looks w/ that gun..

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
As someone who has to carry on a daily basis for work, id suggest what ever firearm you purchase make sure you go to a gun saftey class the NRA classes are very good even for non law enforcment individuals. Also learn and practice the fundamentals of range saftey even before you purchase your firearm. Always assume your weapon or any weapon for that matter is loaded even if you know its not, treat it like it is. Never place your finger on the trigger until you have acquired your target and decided to shoot it.There is alot more but you will have to go to the classes for the rest.

The paper work for your purchasing card isnt to bad, but depending on your municipality you may be in for a bit of a wait, good luck

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
... aka, the "Making RednekF350 feel wanted" thread... :)

What steps do I need to take to own a firearm in New Jersey before I actually go out and buy a gun? My ulterior motive is not the Flyers recent nosedive, but to ultimately be able to take my my Boy Scouts to a firing range and have them shoot a rifle.

Once I have that squared away, any suggestions on good, dependable rifles at decent prices? I've been window shopping at Dicks for months, but I really don't know the difference between models and such...

The first step is to go to your local PD and fill out the paperwork for a NJ Firearms Purchasers ID Card.
Start now while you're still young.
Depending on your PD, this process will take anywhere from a few months to close to a year. My son has been waiting 6 months and counting.
There is a charge for this now and it is in the $70.00 range. I got mine 30 years ago and it was free.
You will need two references to fill out some forms for you and you will be printed for distribution to the FBI and NJSP.
The card is good for life or until a Democrat sees fit to change that, and enables you to purchase longarms (rifles and shotguns) only.
Handgun permits are just as much fun to apply for and must be obtained one at a time and they are good for the purchase for one handgun per permit.

As for firearms, when you are dealing with potentially trigger happy kids, the best setup is a single shot .22 cal.
Marlin makes the single shot "Little Buckaroo" which my sons started with and it is great for kids up to about age 12 . My kids started shooting when they were 7.
Boy Scouts would likely need something a little larger and a Marlin clip or tube feed bolt action .22 would be fine. There are some single shot full size rifles out there too.
You definitely want to stay with a bolt action so you can maintain some level of control over the kids. They are accurate and reliable and this type of gun would only set you back about $180.00

If you know Larry Shapiro or Jerry Nolan from Scouting get a hold of them or I can get him for you.
Larry and Jerry have had scout troops to our club for training and merit badge activity in the past.

Good luck and as I said, start now.
PM me if you need additional information about the other scout leaders I have mentioned.
Scott

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Rossi has a combo single shot .22 and .410 shotgun single shot. You just swap out the barrels. A single shot is very safe and it is the best way to learn the fundementals of marksmanship. The first thing you want to do is take an NRA firearms saftey course for yourself ,or get with a guy like redneckf350 who can show you what to do. As to the mini 14 recomendation that someone posted, I had one and it was a piece of crap. Off the bench with a scope it would almost shoot a 4 inch group, that is if it would go three rounds wiithout jamming. It also had a tight twist to the rifiling that would somtimes cause the jackets to strip off the bullets, those ones could go anywhere! If you want a long gun for protection/ hunting/just shooting, get a remmington 870 12 guage. There is not much that a good shotgun won't get done.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
i asked my boyfriend and he said ruger mini 14. he says the .223 is light enough to carry, and strong enough to put down next to anything you encounter. reliable, accurate, and close range, with plenty of accessories. also cheap!
he knows his guns, i'd check it out!

Isn't this the same boyfriend that wanted to arm you with a sword to brave the terrors of the pinebarrens?

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The first step is to go to your local PD and fill out the paperwork for a NJ Firearms Purchasers ID Card.
Scott

Sound advice for a start.
And yes, it takes a damn long while and even though this may not be a popular statement... it should. I waited every bit of the full allotment of time required and this was even with contacting my local police chief at the time directly. It is what it is and patience is your virtue here. So I covered the handgun thing at the time and yes, for long guns I'm covered. I did pay and I did need sound references and an extensive background check, and was printed. No big deal. I have a small array of guns and with all we see going on, even though those that want a gun improper will find a way, I do support the rigors N.J. puts you through. As long as they do not take our given right away, I can wait.
Good luck in your project and please remain responsible.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A Ruger Mini-14 is not the gun on which to train Boy Scouts.
In another year or two, with the way the price of ammunition is going, no one will be able to afford to shoot a semi-auto centerfire like the Mini.
Even .22 rimfire ammo is starting to get steep and places like Dick's are running out of stock on a regular basis.
In case anyone hasn't noticed, there has been an insipient movement of a lot of the world's resources towards China in the last few years, especially fuel and metals.
We are starting to feel the effects of that now.

Thank you everyone for the help. I just sold some of my drums, so the next day that I'm not substitute teaching, I'll head to the police station and get the paperwork rolling while I have some spare money.

A .22 is what I have experience with, although it's been waaaaay too long (I also fired a shotgun, once, when I was 12. I think my shoulder is still lying out there at that gun club somewhere). Because of it being waaaaay too long, I was planning on looking up training, so I'm glad to hear that the NRA can provide that. Just don't tell my mother I contacted the NRA, she'll probably have a heart attack. :)

As for guns, yes, a .22 sounds like my speed, bolt action so that it's slow. I suppose I'll worry about that after the paperwork.

Scott ~ Don't believe I know them, any idea what council they are? Ours just got merged again, so we are now the South Jersey Council of the White Horse District, or maybe the other way around, I can't tell anymore. I'll PM about the leaders when it gets closer to being a reality to actually do this thing...

And don't get me started on China...

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
Where do you plan to shoot?

I was to the Warren Grove Range yesterday, and it is specifically prohibited to fire a centerfire rifle there...rimfire only allowed. I think this will narrow down your options some...

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
if you want a 22 just for plinking ruger 10-22 is a good one

i just started compitition shooting 22lr and purchased a Anschutz 64 MPR and a savage mark II heavy barrel and have an CZ american 22lr on order

lots of fun trying to score 250 points, yea right, trying to stay 1/4 on center on 25 targets at 50 yards

top 22lr ammo per box of 50 is now $20 !!

on the down side the 64 MPR, is $$$

they all will shoot better than i can shoot them !!

firearms purchasing in pa is simple, walk in to a gun shop walk out with a rifle or pistol

nj is one of the worst states there is for firearms purchase

Where do you plan to shoot?

I was to the Warren Grove Range yesterday, and it is specifically prohibited to fire a centerfire rifle there...rimfire only allowed. I think this will narrow down your options some...

The one on Piney Hollow Road in Winslow is probably the closest for me, outside of just joining the masses of people shooting right on the streets of Philly and Camden...

What's the difference between centerfire and rimfire?