Ice

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Did you guys in Nj get hit by ice like we did? The trails and dirt roads are very, very slippery. Do you think "cramp ons" would be an overkill?
It is not fun walking on it. A foot of snow is better than an inch of ice.
Anyway, I just hope everyone is careful out there, it is very slippery!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No ice in my area until this morning, and it wasn't much. Highs have been in the 40's so I don't think anything is really frozen. And we're expecting a warming trend over the next few days, so ice probably won't be much of an issue around here for the time being.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I guess you guys got mostly rain down there. We had a sleet/freezing rain on Thursday, it was mostly sleet, about 1-2 inches, but then it changed to rain near the end which froze on top of the sleet. If I "step heavy" it will crunch, which keeps me from slipping. I wonder if anyone here has used "cramp-ons". I assume they attach to your shoes.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Up here on Schooley's Mountain, frozen sleet, followed by frozen rain, followed by more sleet, followed by thaw/freeze cycle, equals everything coated in a glaze. Supposed to hit 41 tomorrow, so maybe that will start breaking it.

Forester

Mar 4, 2005
Moorestown area
I guess you guys got mostly rain down there. We had a sleet/freezing rain on Thursday, it was mostly sleet, about 1-2 inches, but then it changed to rain near the end which froze on top of the sleet. If I "step heavy" it will crunch, which keeps me from slipping. I wonder if anyone here has used "cramp-ons". I assume they attach to your shoes.

Crampons are good for mountaineering, but are overkill for around here. There are much cheaper options that you can attach to your boots that will let you walk on ice. REI has something called Yaktrax that work great. Here is a link:http://www.rei.com/product/760281

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Crampons are good for mountaineering, but are overkill for around here. There are much cheaper options that you can attach to your boots that will let you walk on ice. REI has something called Yaktrax that work great. Here is a link:http://www.rei.com/product/760281

Thanks! Hopefully that will help be getting up trails like this!
icyuphill.jpg