Identify this structure?

TheChairman

Aug 16, 2022
Browns Mills
I was hoping to learn more about this structure. It’s one of the first things I found in the pines. I don’t want to give away the exact location, but is on the very easy side and someone knowledgeable should know exactly what it is and where it is.

It’s on a creek on the maps, but the creek itself doesn’t seem to have much water in it. From the looks of it, it may have had a lot more water at one point?
A9F79547-3446-4415-AB5F-6911EFE71ABA.jpeg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was hoping to learn more about this structure. It’s one of the first things I found in the pines. I don’t want to give away the exact location, but is on the very easy side and someone knowledgeable should know exactly what it is and where it is.

It’s on a creek on the maps, but the creek itself doesn’t seem to have much water in it. From the looks of it, it may have had a lot more water at one point?View attachment 17975
USGS stream gauge station.

Reactions: manumuskin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's what it looks like to me also. I have included all the NJDEP/USGS stream monitoring stations on my 2020 topo map. So, you can go to the secret location of your structure and see if it's there. Here's an example of what one looks like:

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.884673/-74.505615/pines2020/0.00/0.00

BTW... is it "guage" or "gauge"? That always confuses me too. I just play it safe and call it a "gage" :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the gageing station at Mt. Misery. The USGS uses gage I believe. Jerseyman's relative staffed the other one years ago. I have the info on them but would have to look it up. Maybe later today.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I thought it looked like one I've seen in Lebanon too, so I just picked a random one in the link above (same as the one Bob shows on the USGS topo). As for the age, you can see that is a feature they added to the topo map later because it's in purple ink. It does not appear on the 1951 or 1957 version of that map. Of course, it might have actually been there but they just didn't show it.

Wouldn't the high humidity in a location like that cause mortar to deteriorate and metal to rust faster?

TheChairman

Aug 16, 2022
Browns Mills
Wouldn't the high humidity in a location like that cause mortar to deteriorate and metal to rust faster?
I would think so. It’s not 19th century old, but it’s definitely 1950s at the latest I would think. I suspect older than that. I was looking for evidence of fasteners used because those are a great way to date equipment and structures and I didn’t really see any.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
BTW... is it "guage" or "gauge"? That always confuses me too. I just play it safe and call it a "gage" :D

That’s a funny topic for me lol. We decided to name my youngest son that. On the day he was born the nurse asked if we decided on a name and we told her. When she then asked how are we going to spell it we just looked at each other. After a short discussion we settled on “Gauge” we liked the different spelling.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, lets not worry about how it is spelled here. To me any way you spell it is find.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's actually gage in this context.

When they studied the Albertson Branch (Brook) between 2004 and 2007 near my house they had very minimal structural components. They had a small foundation maybe 2' x 2' a pole with a solar panel and a stainless box. In the water there was a staff gage and a submerged pipe with a pitot tube attached. The gaging station collected stream heights, velocities and flow rates. I was really cool to be able to look at the data online.

It amazed me that the equipment was never vandalized and it disappointed me that the staff gage, submerged pipe and foundation were left behind, essentially as litter, when the work was done.

The station looked similar to this arrangement.

Attachments

• 01432055.jpg
    01432055.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 82

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's actually gage in this context.

When they studied the Albertson Branch (Brook) between 2004 and 2007 near my house they had very minimal structural components. They had a small foundation maybe 2' x 2' a pole with a solar panel and a stainless box. In the water there was a staff gage and a submerged pipe with a pitot tube attached. The gaging station collected stream heights, velocities and flow rates. I was really cool to be able to look at the data online.

It amazed me that the equipment was never vandalized and it disappointed me that the staff gage, submerged pipe and foundation were left behind, essentially as litter, when the work was done.

The station looked similar to this arrangement.
I disagree Scott. It's gauge. But you've had a civil engineering education, so I respect that, and I'll listen to your explanation. But also, what is the preferred name in use today?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I disagree Scott. It's gauge.

Well, the USGS doesn't agree, they call them "gages" and that is how they are labeled on the topo map (look at the screenshot you posted).

No big deal, either way is correct, but why include a silent letter in a word when it isn't needed?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I disagree Scott. It's gauge. But you've had a civil engineering education, so I respect that, and I'll listen to your explanation. But also, what is the preferred name in use today?
If the USGS calls then gaging stations, that's good enough for me.