http://www.kansasheritage.org/abilene/ikespeech.html

ikesmessage.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was a kid when Eisenhower was president and had the impression he was a kind old man that everyone liked. He gave some great speeches. Both of my parents voted for him. Never really thought much about him until very recently. We're lucky to still be here... ;)

https://thebulletin.org/japans-nuclear-history-perspective-eisenhower-and-atoms-war-and-peace

"Under the cover of the peaceful atom, Eisenhower pursued the most rapid and reckless nuclear escalation in history. The US arsenal went from a little more than 1,000 nuclear weapons when he took office to approximately 22,000 when he left. But even that figure is misleading. Procurements authorized by Eisenhower continued into the 1960s, making him responsible for the levels reached during the Kennedy administration -- more than 30,000 nuclear weapons."

"Few know that Eisenhower had delegated to theater commanders and other specified commanders the authority to launch a nuclear attack if they believed it mandated by circumstances and were out of communication with the president or if the president had been incapacitated. With Eisenhower's approval, some of these theater commanders had in turn delegated similar authority to lower commanders"

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that without him we would all be doing the goosestep, or cutting grass with a sickle ;) Over the last 8 years I was considering opening a discount Burka shop franchise. :D

Reactions: manumuskin

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Not sure if this is too off-topic for a thread about Ike but since D-Day came up: when I was a kid there was a TV series called 'Victory at Sea', an excellent WWII documentary. Not sure if anyone has seen it but it's a great series and I recently found it on Amazon for a pretty low price. We also picked up a copy of 'World War II in HD' and that too was very good.

Just wanted to pass it along in case anyone else likes the WWII documentaries as much as we do.

Reactions: manumuskin

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Watched it religiously as a kid, loved the theme music and the narrator, Leonard Graves. My Dad was in the Merchant Marine during the war. He never watched it.

There are quite a few video's on UTube.

Last edited: