In Penn State and Wharton Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did some stone searching today and found a few of them. Nothing special. We again visited another spung after noticing on aerial photos that sometime between 1970 and 1995 someone made a road right through it to get from one road to another. Most likely a dozer but it is hard to tell. The road appears to be no longer in use. In any event, we made it a point to visit it. I believe it may hold some nice plants so we are going to vist it often this year.

spung.jpg

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

A hunter has been using it this year and right in the middle are rotting apples and a large pile of acorns. The acorns are sprouting.

IMG_2486.JPG

Then we headed over to Penn State Forest to find out where the controlled burns were. I have been looking for a few stones from the 1700s there and was hoping they burned that area. Unfortunately, they have not. Along the way we stopped at the CCC camp to check if the burns give a better view of the concrete foundations of what may have been their water tower. The fire certainly opened the area up. There are 8 foundations.

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

Guy

Reactions: John and bobpbx

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
I bet I know right where this meadow is.I"d post a link but not sure if you want it known. Can I treat this as a "Where is this"? or is it best kept secret? If it's where I think it is I used that ditch trail to access a Blueberry field that there was supposed to be a stone bordering but when i got there I discovered the stone actually should have set about 20 ft out into the bog and hence was gone and the bog encroaching on state ground by 20 ft.