Information on Rt.72 Pig Works

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
Does anybody have information on an area called the Pigs Works? It is located east of the RR bridge on Rt. 72. There are foundations and lots of broken dishes and clam shells at the location. I have heard it was a pigery and a speakeasy. I am told the dishes are from New York resturants. Can anybody post some information if they have it?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Does anybody have information on an area called the Pigs Works? It is located east of the RR bridge on Rt. 72. There are foundations and lots of broken dishes and clam shells at the location. I have heard it was a pigery and a speakeasy. I am told the dishes are from New York resturants. Can anybody post some information if they have it?

i came acrossed that before too but not sure , hopefully someone knows

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I call it the slaughter house. It was the back drop for the picture on the back of my album. I really don't know much about it. Sorry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That info you have most likely came from this site. Bob mentioned it years ago and made a guess that the dishes were there because the owners of the food locations where the food was acquired for the pigs, requested that they also take their old dishes. I was thinking that most likely the broken dishes were thrown in the food containers and the pig owners just filtered them out of the food before they gave it to their pigs. Or maybe waited until the pigs had cleaned them up.

I posted this Then and Now a while back. About 1978 and a few years ago.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05022008/pig_1977_2003.jpg

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Apparently it was quite the custom for expensive restaurants to clear their tables by grabbing the table cloth with all of the plates, silverware, glasses, etc. and throw it all out. Then they'd sell the whole thing to farmers who'd use it for pig feed. Obviously the pigs would eat everything except the dishes and utensils.

Also, you wouldn't have "speakeasies" as we think of them outside of metro areas. People didn't have the cash and proprietors didn't have a way to have a facade like the big speakeasies in the city would have had. Plus enforcement was far more lax down here.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Also, you wouldn't have "speakeasies" as we think of them outside of metro areas. People didn't have the cash and proprietors didn't have a way to have a facade like the big speakeasies in the city would have had. Plus enforcement was far more lax down here.

True, we didn't have speakeasies, we just had stills.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe it is best to let them find it on their own. Don't take that the wrong way ... but just this week I have heard from someone about things going missing and I found something missing. History is being taken one piece at a time.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I say
Maybe it is best to let them find it on their own. Don't take that the wrong way ... but just this week I have heard from someone about things going missing and I found something missing. History is being taken one piece at a time.

Well, it really is just an old pig farm site. I don't see any harm in revealing that.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was there last weekend. There is a perfectly good plate dug up by someone still there. If only it could talk.

The plate would say..."hey, stop slurping on me pig"!

One time my family and I were down the shore riding around...I think it may have been near Cape May or something south of here. We saw a stack of plates that a diner had thrown out by their trash. You know the kind, real thick and non-decorative. Below is one of the remnants. I took them. I know, most people would not, but they struck some sort of nostalgic chord in me. I've spent a lot of time in the old-time diners in various New Jersey towns. I used to love coffee in those thick cups.

dinerplate.PNG

willy

Scout
Jul 16, 2014
galloway nj
The hotels in Atlantic City had a similar practice of leaving the plates with the food. Here at Stockton University, there was at least one known pig farm on campus. We have the dump piles of plates and utensils still around. Years ago we would find similar plates in the freshly plowed garden at my mom's house. I remember my mom's family telling stories of walking the Liepe fields after the spring and fall plowing to remove similar articles. I not sure if the pig pens were empty on to the field or hotel scraps where directly dump on the fields. My grandparents used many of these found plates at home.