Interactive map idea.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
After seeing what has gone on with the discussions about 1/4 mile and other areas I thought there must be some way to come together on this. I believe there are intelligent people on both sides of the four-wheeling/land use debate but I think there is one thing we can agree on, there is damage being done.

I propose that we document such damage and document other things, such as illegal dumping. I hear different numbers being thrown around about ATV's or illegal four-wheeling cause x amount of acres of damage. Do they? Maybe, maybe not. It's really not about pointing the finger at anyone or any activity, just documentation so one can easily point out what areas are being affected.

It would go like this: You are driving along a road and see an area that has been damaged by four-wheelers driving into a wetlands area. You mark the coordinates, maybe take a picture and that's it. Later on you upload the coordinates to the map and possibly add the picture. That's it. No comments, no blame, no finger pointing, just pointing out what you saw. We could keep everything anonymous.

I think this would also work great for cleaning up illegal dumping. You would know right where to go.

I am not an expert on maps and computer software like some others on here are so I am not sure if this is even totally possible. I'm pretty sure it is fairly easy with Google Maps. I don't want to be the police and turn people in, I would just like to have a map of the Wharton State Forest for instance and be able to lay back and say, okay this is going on here and that is going on there, so on and so on.

What do you think? It's kind of a start.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
no ????????? wow really ?
i think it sounds like a great idea , seems more suitable for something alongs an app for an iphone or something like that , it could possably work , just making it public and leaving it up to others to take there time to go clean up the area , but also could be bad and could bring the wrong people to certain areas

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The map idea could be easily done with Google Earth.

4991257989_33e08c3690_z.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It may backfire and allow others to find a place they did not already know about. One never knows.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Yea, I hear you on that. Maybe it's something I will do on my own and won't really make it public.

Jeep and Toyota have an iPhone trail map that works off of the phones gps , you can set and record tracks just like a real gps and map and save your routes , along the way you drop pins and write notes and upload photos , you share your trips and notes to the public (to people only using the app) or keep them private for your own future refferance, it's pretty cool . I haven't gotten to use it much on my
iPhone but it's seems really cool

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think Ben made his thoughts pretty clear here:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/slag-heap/7738-sunrise-1-4-mile-road-24.html#post82692

Way back in the early days of this website, I had the same sort of naive idea that the 4x4 crowd and the environmentalists could get together and come to some sort of compromise. I've given up on that idea because it seems that most environmentalists want things their way only and are quite millitant about it, and their idea of fixing things is to fine the shit out of people or cut access off entirely, and most 4x4 enthusiasts (most, not all) have barely evolved past the point of being able to breathe through their nose and completely incapable of getting the 4wd community to not go around and tear up these places.

I used to get incredibly mad at people because if they would "only just see" how "easy" it would be to come to a "compromise" then we'd all be happy. Until I managed to get maligned by both the environmentalists as well as the 4wd'ers. I gave up and decided to let the issue play out as it will.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold

You act like everyone with a 4x4 is a caveman with no brain , there's absolutly no reason to call people flat out stupid for driving thru a swamp it might be a stupid thing to do but doesn'tean there not smart people , most of these hippies that cry and argue can't even change there own oil in there car, and so much for not bringing up 1/4 mile anymore .... Can we get back on the subject at Hand now , wich is maps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That quote is from Ben, not me. You asked a question and I was pointing to an answer. If you actually read Ben's quote you would see that it wasn't only directed at 4x4 owners, but stated that he was frustrated by narrow minded people on BOTH sides of the issue.

Geez....

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
That quote is from Ben, not me. You asked a question and I was pointing to an answer. If you actually read Ben's quote you would see that it wasn't only directed at 4x4 owners, but stated that he was frustrated by narrow minded people on BOTH sides of the issue.

Geez....

My fault then , I guess I took the original remark the wrong way