Interesting Foundations at Estell Manor Park

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've explored the various ruins of the Bethlehem Loading Company several times in the past but found something new the other day and I was wondering if anyone on the forum could shed light on it. Along the dirt road that turns to the north from the end of Artesian Well Rd., there are what appear to be a few cellar holes next to the road. They are only a stone's throw upstream from the boat ramp, on the west side of the road. The remains of the foundation are brick and native sandstone and seem to be older and unrelated to the loading plant. I am wondering if the Smith-Ireland Cemetary was a family graveyard associated with these structures.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Bethlehem

Hey GermanG,
According to what I've read, and saw on a map in Solem Stull's "Ghost Towns of South Jersey" those holes are listed as "Farmhouse Ruins". I'm guessing they were connected somehow to the Estellville Glassworks. I noticed that too, how they seemed so much older than the Loading Company's foundations. I'm not sure exactly who's house it was, but I'm sure there's a record of it somewhere.

Kevin

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm guessing they were connected somehow to the Estellville Glassworks.

Hi guys.... that park is practically my backyard :). Always wishing I had more time to spend there, it's full of cool stuff. Unless I'm not understanding GermanG however, that wouldn't be part of the Glassworks. Artesian Well Rd is at the Northern end of the park, probably two miles from the Glassworks which is at the Southern end.

I don't recall looking closely at them, but it sounds like they are near the Belco power plant. I'd also vote for the idea that they were homes near the cemetary.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Boyd,

Yes, they were right near the powerplant ruins, just on the other side of the boat ramp. Since my first post, I found a copy of the park's trail map that notes the farmhouse ruins as well, but no other information. Since a few of the stones in the nearby graveyard date back to the early 1700s, I was wondering if the cellar holes might even predate the glassworks.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Ruins

Boyd,
I didn't mean an actual part of the glass works, more like someone who lived there probably did so because of the work the glass works in the area provided. Kind of like the village of Calico near Martha's Furnace. But without any background info, mine's as good as anybody's guess. That's great you live near there. Have you guys been to the southern portion south of the river by the main veterans cemetery. The buildings seemed to be mostly for storage down that way, but it's much more remote. And I believe there is a northern portion on the right-of-way of the railroad running through Mays Landing in between the two housing developments (Brandywine is one) along Rt. 40. That one is private property but it's still a neat area to check out.

Kevin

Don Ay

Feb 15, 2009
German,
it sounds like your describing the foundations to my Great Grand parents homestead ( Carl and "Nana" Strigh) I dont recall how they aquired the farm but they were there till the Bethlehem loading Co. bought out the surrounding lands.
they moved to the house on the Rt 50 with the large Oak tree near the Artsian well rd. on the corner of what was then called 13th st. when I was a kid.
my grandmother, when she married moved a little further south down RT 50 to the property where the "southwestern" style home is now ,the orginal house burned down few years after she sold.
I always loved to get to stay over with her after my grandfather passed and we would always walk down to the well an river and bring a brick or two home with us from the foundation. that was back when the property was owned by the Atlantic County Game Preserve a hunting club.
one of my Grandfathers nephews painted a neat picture of what the homestead looked like, I am lucky to have that.

another bit of lore I remember from my late Gandmom
her brother Francis worked for the engineers that were building the plant and one of their jobs was surveying mapping out the soon to be built employee housing in "Belcoville", the survey party used their names and those of family members for the streets.

she talked of roller skating on the floors of the warehouses after they were dismantled as I think I recall her saying they dismantled them down rather quickly after the war ended.

I remember some good stories of moonshiners in the area too