Introduction and a few newbie questions.

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
Hi,

First off I would like to thank the forum moderators and members for providing such a great source of information about the NJ Pine Barrens.

By way of introduction please allow me to tell you a few things about myself.

I have lived my entire life just outside of the Pine Barrens zone. Just off of GSP exit 97.

As a Boy Scout I spent some time hiking and canoeing around the the PB's. I also had some good times as a camper at Camp Ockanickon in Medford. So as you can see I'm not a total stranger to this area but it has been a long time since I've done anything other then drive through on Rt 70 or the GSP.

My daughter will be going back to Camp Matolly for her 7th time this year.

I find myself unemployed on Saturdays for the first time in a long time this summer. So it's time to start doing some of the stuff I've been saying I was going to do "if I only had the time". Number one on the list is hiking and canoeing in the PB's.

For my first hike with my wife and daughter I was thinking of going to Penn State Forest. My wife and I are in good shape and my daughter is 16 years old so I don't think the 4.9 mile hike will be any problem.

Now for a few questions.

Will I see other hikers there?
If not is my car safe at the fire tower?
Is a liter of water per person enough on a sixty degree day? Is it too much? Why carry it if I don't need it.
In general is this a good hike to start out with?

After the hike I was going to take a look at the Carranzza Memorial. Is there any place to have lunch between the two sites?

Thanks
AJ

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
For my first hike with my wife and daughter I was thinking of going to Penn State Forest. My wife and I are in good shape and my daughter is 16 years old so I don't think the 4.9 mile hike will be any problem.

Now for a few questions.

Will I see other hikers there?
If not is my car safe at the fire tower?
Is a liter of water per person enough on a sixty degree day? Is it too much? Why carry it if I don't need it.
In general is this a good hike to start out with?

After the hike I was going to take a look at the Carranzza Memorial. Is there any place to have lunch between the two sites?

Thanks
AJ

Welcome AJ,

I'm no expert but I can help with some of your questions.
I'd be surprised if you didn't see anyone after the nice weather this week, unless they are calling for rain.
Your car should be fine at the fire tower. My friends and I just completed the Batona and we left our cars all along the trail with no problems.
As for water, it depends on what you think you will drink. Just make sure you have more than you will need. A liter sounds like enough water but make sure you have some waiting at the car.

I've never hiked that trail so, I have no idea how it will be. Maybe some others here know it.

Good luck and have a great hike.

Jay

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm a little confused by your route. Are you talking about the fire tower at Apple Pie Hil or somewhere else? What trail are you taking? Batona? AFAIK, it doesn't go through the Penn State Forest.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something....

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
I'm a little confused by your route. Are you talking about the fire tower at Apple Pie Hil or somewhere else? What trail are you taking? Batona? AFAIK, it doesn't go through the Penn State Forest.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something....

On the directions from Trails.com it's just called "the lot at the top of the hill". On the topo map it's shown as "the former fire tower" on Bear Swamp Hill. So it sounds like maybe the tower no longer exists. It's located on Sooey Rd.

The route for the hike is Sooey Rd to Cabin Rd to Lost Lane Rd To Stave Rd.

Hope that helps clear thing up.

AJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On the directions from Trails.com it's just called "the lot at the top of the hill". On the topo map it's shown as "the former fire tower" on Bear Swamp Hill. So it sounds like maybe the tower no longer exists. It's located on Sooey Rd.

The route for the hike is Sooey Rd to Cabin Rd to Lost Lane Rd To Stave Rd.

Hope that helps clear thing up.

AJ

Just off of Sooey Road was the location of the Bear Swamp Hill Fire Tower that is no longer there. So are you parking there? If so, that is quite secluded but people still go there. I would say it is safe, but because it is off the main road someone would have quite a bit of time to mess with it before anyone would come by.

Guy

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
Just off of Sooey Road was the location of the Bear Swamp Hill Fire Tower that is no longer there. So are you parking there? If so, that is quite secluded but people still go there. I would say it is safe, but because it is off the main road someone would have quite a bit of time to mess with it before anyone would come by.

Guy

Any suggestions on where else I could park but still be able to take that hike or a similar hike through the pygmy pines?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where exactly were you planning on parking? At Bear Swamp Hill? I have always found that parking right along a main road is pretty safe because there is always someone coming by.
Guy

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Any suggestions on where else I could park but still be able to take that hike or a similar hike through the pygmy pines?

How far are you planning to hike? If you want to walk in the pygmy pines, I've been parking at a spot just off 539, just past Lucilles. It's part of the area that burned last year.

AJ1957

Scout
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I parked in the lot at Lake Oswego. There were plenty of other cars in the lot so I had no worries about bad actors. I just traded my Explorer in for a Fusion. Even though the roads were in great shape I didn't like the idea of taking my car back there so parking at the lake seemed like the best place all things considered.

Since some distance was added to my original hiking route I changed the route around a little to keep things at reasonable distance-6 miles. Unfortunately the roads I cut from my original itinerary were the roads where the pygmy pines are. Oh well all in all still a nice walk.

Next time I'll take Pikers advice to park on Rt 539 and come in from that way. Looks like Beaver Dam Rd would be the best bet.

AJ