invasives

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
first of all here's a link/webaddress to a great site ,very informative on the subject of invasive species,both flora and fauna.http://www.invasive.org/ .................................................................................. my apologies if i already posted about this(may have just touched on it in another thread) but it's a real concern of mine is when i'm out in the woods and i run into various invasive species-especially exotics/non-natives.man there's a ton of them out there...... ................................................................................................................................................... sure many have been established for many many years but to actually witness a non-native get a foothold and take an area over is troublesome to witness-it just bothers me.two plant species i see spreading like mad in the last couple years are commonly known as 'japanese stiltgrass aka nepalese browntop(Microstegium vimineum) and 'mile a minute weed'(Persicaria perfoliata).admittedly the latter i have not seen in the pines (as it thrives in rockier soils) but the former is indeed cropping up in some of my favorite areas of the pines......... the post about stinkbugs reminded me of this issue but didn't want to 'hijack' their thread so i started a new one.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Two of the reasons are that the fire service puts out the fires quickly, and fertilizer run off from the various farms.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
In a stream that empties into the delaware river near my house there is maybe 100 yards covered in water hyacinth. I let the njdep know about it on their website and i got a call that they are not concerned about it and there is nothing that they can do about it.