Ipomopsis rubra threatened

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Allegedly the only place Ipomopsis rubra appears in NJ is in Cumberland County. The railroad roadbed and road crossings have been newly rebuilt. A gravel pile is threateningly close; wonder if the RR is aware?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Tnx Gibby.
Yes.
I've volunteered thru PPA to write a letter, supporting legislation for plant protection, to local publication, haven't been tapped yet, but ready 'n willing....
I. rubra also known as Standing Cypress and according to Gleason & Cronquist has scientific name Gilia rubra. Beautiful plant in Phlox family, natural habitat in southern U.S.
Your comment triggered me to look into who owns RR and see if I can find someone there to write to.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I didn't realize I rubra was considered T&E in any way. It is a prolific plant, esp. further south, & seeds are readily available. Are you sure you are not confusing this with the vetch that was behind TNC's original acquisition of some of the land in that area?

JohnD.

Apr 19, 2012
Dorchester, NJ
I haven't been by there during day light hours since last fall, but there were a few mounds of sand/gravel there then. The population seems to have shifted around a bit over the past 10-15 years but was still going strong last fall. I did notice a few yellow flowered plants mixed in which I don't remember growing there many years ago. Will have to go by and check the area out. I live only a few miles away.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
John D: ur pix are great!
When we saw the site there was a huge pile of fist size gravel just a few feet towards the tracks from the bank of the cut. My fear is that someone unaware of what a treasure is there would just barge over them.
Since you live nearby do you happen to know who owns the RR tracks? I think W&W runs the trains, but not sure about the right
of way ownership, which would likely be the people who are doing the work on the line and therefore the ones to plead to.
I first saw the flowers a couple of years ago when a Phila. Botanical Society group visited it. It was then that I heard that this site was unique in NJ and discussion about it coming in from down south as the station was nearby.
BTW, what's the last flower in the pix? Great shots.