is fishing allowed in the parker preserve

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
always glad to find a new pickerel spot................i do only catch and release.............is fishing allowed,and how do i get to that beautiful long pond to the east of 563 at speedwell.............strom

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Strom, you are allowed to fish in the Parker preserve. They didn't allow it at first but now they do.
woodjin......................many thanks for that info.......................now if i can only find a way to get my pickup to the long lake south of speedwell.............................is the road to the lake marked at all..............its apparently on the left after i pass the speedwell road going south........................strom

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
woodjin......................many thanks for that info.......................now if i can only find a way to get my pickup to the long lake south of speedwell.............................is the road to the lake marked at all..............its apparently on the left after i pass the speedwell road going south........................strom

No, it is before Speedwell Road traveling south from Chatsworth. The road Guy mentioned is just north of the Southgate entrance and is the quickest way into the lake. It is unmarked. Your best bet is to go to the Southgate entrance, 2.9 miles south of Chatsworth, and then head back north and the first road on your right is the one you want. The Southgate entrance is well marked.

Southgate 39 46.740, -74 32.454

Ed

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ed is correct, Strom. It is north of Speedwell. it is right where Teegate marked it on the map. The thing is, it is gated and you are not allowed to drive in. If you walk it, there is a shelter there and a little dock. I've fished from the dock a bunch of times. I've caught pickerel there but it is a bit hit and miss. If you walk it, you can park at the gate. Once you walk a bit there will be a sand pit on your right. Look for a less worn road on your left, if you take that to the end and then make a right, it will take you to the shelter. This way is little quicker that walking the big road all the way around.

I have considered getting a kayak in there by loading into the wading river on 563 north of the gate and kayaking down to the wide section of the river. I have not done this so I don't know how easy it is. Ed has done it, but I don't know how recently.

Jeff

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have not paddled it since the early 70's. I think it would be not worth it.

Enter at the road Guy mentioned. After a couple hundred feet you will see blue trail markers. Follow them to the shelter and dock.

Ed