Is this Garmin Montana new??

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That link didn't work for me. But, yes, that is a new Montana! Surprised they don't have a blog entry on their site as usual. Looks very nice - I have been expecting a device like this for awhile, it has the new features of the GPSMap 66 and Overlander and uses their new system.

pd-01-lg-f1afbb2b-8a80-4505-b126-f7ce944d9a38.jpg

I'm not sure if these devices are even compatible with Basecamp or the maps that I make, maps are loaded directly from the device by wifi or a connection to your phone. These new devices use the online system that just went down with the ransomware attack. Has a nicer, larger screen than the old Montana and I don't think you can change the batteries. I suspect it's an Android device.

Will be interested to learn more, might be a nice unit to have. But that price.... $600 for the base model, $700 with satellite communicator and $800 with a camera! :eek:

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Quite a bit larger than the Montana 6xx series. But I like it, very nice screen and it seems a lot faster than my Montana 600. Also has an interchangeable battery pack (probably very expensive though). No matter.... I certainly won't be spending $600 for a GPS anytime in the foreseeable future. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
More info is coming out about this device. Turns out that you can use AA batteries with a special pack that costs $60. However, this is only compatible with the Montana 700, and not the versions with inReach technology (700i and 750i). Also surprised to learn that the inReach models don't have a GLONASS receiver.

It is compatible with Basecamp however, so theoretically it should be work with any maps that work on the old Montana. More info here: