It starting...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
:dance:

if you want to follow along;

http://www.foliagenetwork.net/index...orts-northeast-us/current-season-northeast-us

09182013_lc.gif

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm fearful that the summer was so wet, that it will impact the full range of colors. Does anyone know how/if that effects the change?

Where ever I have been over the past couple of weeks I have noticed some pretty heavy leaf drop. Many tree's have dried leaves on them already. There may not be many leaves left for when the color line gets down here next month. This Sunday comes the Autumnal Equinox.

As far as how weather affects the color, this is what the tree guys say. We haven't had much rain lately, so who knows;

http://www.usna.usda.gov/PhotoGallery/FallFoliage/ScienceFallColor.html

Temperature, sunlight, and soil moisture greatly influence the quality of the fall foliage display. Abundant sunlight and low temperatures after the time the abscission layer forms cause the chlorophyll to be destroyed more rapidly. Cool temperatures, particularly at night, combined with abundant sunlight, promote the formation of more anthocyanins. Freezing conditions destroy the machinery responsible for manufacturing anthocyanins, so early frost means an early end to colorful foliage. Drought stress during the growing season can sometimes trigger the early formation of the abscission layer, and leaves may drop before they have a chance to develop fall coloration. A growing season with ample moisture that is followed by a rather dry, cool, sunny autumn that is marked by warm days and cool but frostless nights provides the best weather conditions for development of the brightest fall colors. Lack of wind and rain in the autumn prolongs the display; wind or heavy rain may cause the leaves to be lost before they develop their full color potential.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I will be in New England the first week of October.Will be all the way from Quoddy Head maine into the White Mountains and vermont.Giving Momma a first time tour.She will probably want to go back next year as well.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I will be in New England the first week of October.Will be all the way from Quoddy Head maine into the White Mountains and vermont.Giving Momma a first time tour.She will probably want to go back next year as well.

My son will be up there beginning on the 4th. Spending his time around Acadia and will be at the Hawk watch on Cadillac Mt most days when he isn't looking for a place to live. If you stop by, he will be the guy with a BIG lens, rented of course :) I wish we were going, color is forecast to be the best in years up that way. Have a great time.

New England color status and timing;

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/new-england-foliage-maps/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The trees have just begun turning down here. But just look down for a burst of color. The most wild cranberries I've seen in recent years too. I think we'll have a good season for fall color. :)

fall01.jpg

fall02.jpg

berries.jpg

Reactions: John and Gibby

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think the fall color is probably at its peak down here in Atlantic and Cumberland County, so this weekend would be a good chance to see it. It's more subtle than last year but still looks nice.

creek.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We'll be headed up along the Delaware this weekend now that the NPS has opened the NRA, just in time for peak. Mid-week we'll be taking a drive along NY RT97, one of the nicest autumn drives around and overnighting in Lackawaxen.