It's So Uncomfortable Outside

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Humidity has been pretty oppressive recently, 58% here right now but it's been in the 70% to 80% range frequently. It would help if we had a nice breeze but that seems to be in short supply. I'm 68 and don't think the humidity bothers me much more than it did 10 or 20 years ago... it always sucked. :D

I heat with wood and cut 1 to 2 cords on my own land for 9 years, hauling it back to the house with a wheelbarrow on narrow winding trails. It would take 40 to 80 hours of hard work between cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking. Good exercise, but it was starting to get old and my romantic notion of "self-sufficiency" didn't seem like enough reward. And there are lots of risks from chainsaws and falling trees.

Two years ago I started buying firewood and getting it delivered. It's expensive, but the quality is way better than the stuff I was cutting that had a lot of rotten parts. So I'm burning less wood for the same amount of heat - seems like money well-spent and I have found better uses for my time. I still get some exercise by carrying it all to the porch and stacking it, which takes several hours. :)

Hey - take it easy out there and get inside to cool off if you can. I try to just make the best of things regardless of the weather. Doesn't help to complain, but I do it anyway. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Our AC gave up after one of yesterdays storms and power outages, I guess something in it really got fried.

Soon :dance:

40211159.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thx everyone. This weather trend will be over soon and the colder temps of winter will be upon us.

Sorry to hear about the AC. As soon as I see or hear lightning or thunder, I always turn our central AC off.

In my mind, I've always had it in my head that it would less likely take a hit if it wasn't running. Probably no fact in that at all, but I've been doing it for years and it makes me feel better.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A few years back lighting struck nearby the building I work at and just having it strike nearby damaged a few computers and some of the electronics in the machines we run.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I've had on two occasions garage door openers taken out by lighting, but everything else in house OK.
Strikes seem to be taking a toll on my large Oak tree

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't think it was lightning, I would have known that, but a surge with the power coming back on. Happened once before to a neighbor and the power company took care of it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
90 degrees / 63˚ humidity in the shade here. Just returned from a walk, there's a nice breeze blowing and it's actually very pleasant outside. :)

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
. Doesn't help to complain, but I do it anyway. :)
Good one. With the exception of weather and taxes complaining can often yield results. With weather and taxes complaining has physiological comforting effects so go ahead and complain. Can't wait for the cooler temps. I can dress for the cold but there is only so much you can undress for the heat and humidity. I also like the absence or certainly reduction of biting insects.

Reactions: 46er