Jack of All Trades Roundtable

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Folks,
For a museum we have some interesting little quirks here in Avalon, most notably is the library room. Currently we have a few hundred books dealing with regional and American history in general. We also have online computer access and the ability to access geneology.com. While this is great, I want to use the space for south jersey cultural groups as well. For me, a museum does more than just explain the past; it also tries to capture current events and culture. I debated whether to try Civil War or Rev. War roundtable, book clubs, etc. Then I thought, why can’t a roundtable do a little bit of all of these things, a Jack of all trades roundtable if you will. Perhaps one month a book review, another could be archaeology today in SJ, a third could be plant studies in SJ. Anyway, I’m going to start advertising this locally and thought some of you folks might be interested in joining, there are a lot of great insights here that would make great additions. Probably this would meet once a month and include the occasional field trip. Nothing in stone yet though, that’ll pan out in the future. Thanks for listening………

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Burning with envy right now ! I have a good topic to suggest: "An Account of Hessian Troops in the NJ Battles of the American Revolutionary War" with geneological research developing on the possibility that some stayed to enjoy this wonderful new country ! Just an idea.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi furball...........yes,lots of sources mention hessian deserters heading for the pines during the war.......names common in the pines such as sooy,are supposed to be of hessian or igin.........i doubt that you will find much info though........press on, strom

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
All,

In mind of Furball's suggestion I've decided on Private Yankee Doodle written by Joseph Plumb Martin. This is a really well written account from the bottom floor of the American Revolution, and I picked it because of its account of the Battle of Red Bank here in Southern New Jersey. More local research is available, I did a part of my Grad school thesis on Red Bank, if enough interest is generated.........including Hessian Diaries.

In a reviewer's words:

Martin is a good storyteller and raconteur. The reader will not find detailed accounts of battle here. In fact, battle is mentioned rather matter-of-factly. What is delightful to find is an account of the day in and day out hardships of life in Washington's army. Stories abound of camp life, foraging, marching, guard duty, scrapes with Torries, the hunt for clothing and the other ever-present challenges that soldiers had to endure and perform to simply survive between battles.

So please let me know if you are indeed interested in attending. I haven't set a date, but am considering sometime in the first week of December. Once I get an acurate head count I will be loaning the book directly through the History Center. P.M. me with questions or right on this page if you are indeed interested.