John deere junket

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This is how we go sledding in Pestletown.
Nothing else matters...
IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

John D. model 40 , pushing 70 years of age, still turning fields and entertaining chillun'.
IMG_2216.JPG

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
We had just about enough snow to have a little fun. Glad to see you and the kids got out and enjoyed some of it, in style.

John-

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
That's awesome, Largo! Reminds me of winter days on my uncle's farm in Michigan. In fact, when I was a young kid in upstate New York my dad used to tie our ten-foot bobsled to the back of his Ford Pinto and drag loads of kids all over the neighborhood. Imagine what people would say about that today!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
That's awesome, Largo! Reminds me of winter days on my uncle's farm in Michigan. In fact, when I was a young kid in upstate New York my dad used to tie our ten-foot bobsled to the back of his Ford Pinto and drag loads of kids all over the neighborhood. Imagine what people would say about that today!

When I was a kid in Elm, it was a car hood, or hoods plural depending on the crowd, all hooked together and to the tractor with good old fashioned STEEL CHAIN. If you're gonna fall off and get mangled, rope won't do. After a time or two up the woods, dad would take right to the Fleming Pike and up the street we'd go. Car hoods tend not to stop when the tractor does though, adding to the thrill factor. It was all the best of fun, in the woods, on the street, in the dark on an old ford hood (it's all they're good for). Man, today it would just be horrors all around and we'd be turned in as bad parents. Times sure have changed.
Oh.... yep, if you guessed it. Same tractor. Life sure is a circular thing ain't it?

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I thought I smelled tractor coming through the woods !
Cool outing George.

My father did some crazy-ass stuff with me when I was their age. It would easily get him locked up today.
He used to let me hang onto the bumper and shoe ski up to speeds of 40 +/- and then have me let go and ski it out. He would speed away lest I go under the wheels.
He also let me hang onto the bumper while I was on a regular sled on Gibbsboro Road back when it was a dirt road. He would tell me to hang on till he reached a scary speed and then he would blow the horn as the signal for me to let go.
The communications worked well and I never even died or anything.
:)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
When I was a kid in Elm, it was a car hood, or hoods plural depending on the crowd, all hooked together and to the tractor with good old fashioned STEEL CHAIN. If you're gonna fall off and get mangled, rope won't do. After a time or two up the woods, dad would take right to the Fleming Pike and up the street we'd go. Car hoods tend not to stop when the tractor does though, adding to the thrill factor. It was all the best of fun, in the woods, on the street, in the dark on an old ford hood (it's all they're good for). Man, today it would just be horrors all around and we'd be turned in as bad parents. Times sure have changed.
Oh.... yep, if you guessed it. Same tractor. Life sure is a circular thing ain't it?

g.

My old man was looking at 70 year-old Farmalls last year for his place in Quebec. I think tractors only die if you stop using them.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I thought I smelled tractor coming through the woods !
Cool outing George.

My father did some crazy-ass stuff with me when I was their age. It would easily get him locked up today.
He used to let me hang onto the bumper and shoe ski up to speeds of 40 +/- and then have me let go and ski it out. He would speed away lest I go under the wheels.
He also let me hang onto the bumper while I was on a regular sled on Gibbsboro Road back when it was a dirt road. He would tell me to hang on till he reached a scary speed and then he would blow the horn as the signal for me to let go.
The communications worked well and I never even died or anything.

Lots of memories in this thread :). We used to bumper skate the buses all over town when the roads were snow covered. Nobody ever died in my presence, but it doesn't take much imagination to see it happening :).

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Looks like they had fun!

I never skied behind a vehicle bit I had a ton of rides sitting on the tailgate of a '62 Willys CJ5 holding onto the tailgate chains for dear life...lot's of rides inthe back of a pickup truck too!

We never had 4x4 so driving in dirt roads to hunt when Dad's pickup started spinning, we would get out of the back of the one w/ a cap [first one of those I ever saw] and pile onto the tailgate so he could drive up the hill & the jump off at the top so we could get back inside the other one...

I doubt that todays compact, Japan and China bilt tractors will still be useable when they are 70 yet you see any number of old JD, Ford 8/9N, and Farmalls still working.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
He used to let me hang onto the bumper and shoe ski

When my friends and I first got our drivers licenses we would take an old skateboard, take the wheels and trucks off, screw 2 sections of bike tire tube to the top of the deck to slide your feet into and place the tail to the front and hang on to the bumper and cruise around. We used to call it bumper skitching. Good times!

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Lots of memories in this thread :). We used to bumper skate the buses all over town when the roads were snow covered. Nobody ever died in my presence, but it doesn't take much imagination to see it happening :).

Sadly, the biggest threat for a large segment of today's youth is obesity brought on by their low level of physical activity.

So come on kids, grab a passing bumper this weekend and hang on.
Breathe in that exhaust, and then celebrate the winter around a bonfire with a bottle of Jacquin's blackberry brandy and a couple Marlboros.
Before you know it, you will be a responsible adult telling your kids not to do any of the above.
I'll be the one at the bonfire with the gray goatee and the bottle of homemade wine.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
George, looks like you guys had a great time. This weekend should hand you some real crazy sledding weather! Kind of funny, but my dad had a tractor exactly like that when I was really young and we used to do the exact same thing. You didn't happen to get it from a guy in Mullica around 1991 did you? lol