Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Okay, lets try that again.
DSC01719 (Small).JPG

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've been meaning to fish menantico sandwash for years but never have, now I know what I've been missing. Nice catches, big crappie and a nice pick. I like that fish measuring device also.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Good deal! All nice fish! I have heard good things about the fishing in Menantico, I have yet to fish it though. I have only hiked the area.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Always heard Menatico is good for small mouth bass . Has anyone ever landed a small -mouth ?
Thanks ,
Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is there any fishing gear you don't have in that kayak? :) Nice fish!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Always heard Menatico is good for small mouth bass . Has anyone ever landed a small -mouth ?
Thanks ,
Joe
There's a good amount of large mouth bass, giant pickerel and panfish, but I've never heard of anybody catching a small mouth bass in Menantico. You can find small mouth in Union Lake in the weeds at the northern end. The best place for small mouth was, I repeat was, was Lake Audrey near Mauricetown. About 8 years ago the state dumped truckloads of lime into it to raise the PH of the very acidic water and make it inhabitable for fish, then they stocked it with small mouth bass. I really never understood their thinking on this. When you buffer water to raise the PH, it's only a temporary fix. If you don't buffer the water on a regular basis it will revert back to its acidic state. The water in Lake Audrey is now too acidic for small mouth to spawn and they're dying off. There are still large mouth bass there, but they will eventually die off too as the PH continues to fall.

Lake Audrey in its hay day: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/artlakeaudrey10.htm

Lake Audrey now: http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?328555-Sad-But-True-Lake-Audrey

Reactions: joc

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Is there any fishing gear you don't have in that kayak? :) Nice fish!

Thanks. Been too busy to hook up the fish finder. I'd add a stereo but I use this kayak for freshwater fishing, so I can't because it would scare the fish. Probably won't get the hot tub installed in the rear well until the spring. LOL

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I take Sophie to swim in Audrey about once a week.No wonder she likes it.My dog is doin acid:-(
I'm only about two miles from there.I remember them putting the lime in.How does it reacidify? Rain? I know the water is from the water table and as far as I know silica sand and clay is not acidic and there is not enough vegetation falling into it to really matter like what gets washed into a Barrens stream and makes tannic acid.Only thing I can think of to acidify it would be rain.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I take Sophie to swim in Audrey about once a week.No wonder she likes it.My dog is doin acid:-(
I'm only about two miles from there.I remember them putting the lime in.How does it reacidify? Rain? I know the water is from the water table and as far as I know silica sand and clay is not acidic and there is not enough vegetation falling into it to really matter like what gets washed into a Barrens stream and makes tannic acid.Only thing I can think of to acidify it would be rain.
The water is spring-fed, so I'm thinking it's probably something in the substrate that's leeching into the water.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have heard that when still sucking sand out of a hole they use hydrochloric acid to wash the sand and this gets into the water.I have swam inused and freshly abandoned sand mines and they do burn the eyes when open under water but within a few years this disappears.I assume the acid breaks down ,now limeing the water would nuetralize the acid but why the ph would oome back down after neutralization I do not know.