kayaked the rancocas to Amico island

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
saturday we put in at the indian reservation long the Rancoacs and paddled to Amico island county park in riverside about 10 miles, lots of open water and wakes from power boats (fun riding the wakes and waves), not realy my kind kayaking but nice for a change

today we did the MIGHTY Mullica from Atsion about 14 miles to Pleasant mills. low water, the lowest i have ever don it lots of obsticles both in water and over head just enough to make it interesting and of course new beaver activity, about dozen beaver dams to go over some brand new
also i just miss crashing into a burlington/ocean county servey marker in the middle of the Mullica, due to the water level being so low, so there is at least one in the water still there

this was a long day in the kayak but a good day all the same,

24 miles kayaking in two days, i will give my arms a rest for a few days

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
onehand said:
also i just miss crashing into a burlington/ocean county servey marker in the middle of the Mullica, due to the water level being so low, so there is at least one in the water still there

I know where that is but have never seen it. I have to get there to check it out.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
If you hike Amico to the far end facing dredge harbor, there is an island out in the distance. I know in early spring before the trees on the island come to life you can see these huge nests in them. I am guessing that they are hawk nests, there must be 30 of them. Does anyone know what kind of birds make them nests? I spend a lot of time in the spring on Amico going striper fishing and I noticed that this spring.

wolfspider05 said:
If you hike Amico to the far end facing dredge harbor, there is an island out in the distance. I know in early spring before the trees on the island come to life you can see these huge nests in them. I am guessing that they are hawk nests, there must be 30 of them. Does anyone know what kind of birds make them nests? I spend a lot of time in the spring on Amico going striper fishing and I noticed that this spring.

They are Great Blue Herons. I go there often to see them.

Steve