Kayaking the Upper Great Egg Harbor River

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I know there are a lot of yakers here so I figured someone has done this already. A group of friends and myself are going to be kayaking the GEHR from Sicklerville to Penny Pot on the beautiful Sunday were supposed to have this weekend. Has anyone ever gone this route before? I've never heard anything about it and was wondering how clear it was. I know the guy at Pizza Palace on the Black Horse Pike clears the part from Penny pot to Lake Lenape with saws and whatnot, so I don't expect it to be as clear, but in the past year or so I've seen quite a number of people put in at the dam just off of New Brooklyn-Cedar Brook Rd. Figured it's the small part of the river, but the water should be up.

Kevin

I don't know about that far up, but just below Pennypot (at the Old dam off Rt.322) I understand the dam is made from Teak wood from a shipwreck on the coast! Pennypot down should be in fair shape but take tools just in case if your going down that far. It has the tendency to throw out odd trees and boat catchers on a whim. Any change in water level seems to affect it With the rains we recently had it would make sense to be ready for lots of portages and haulouts! Also be prepped with the proper clothes. That water is still cool, even in 70 + weather! Good luck!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Kevin,

That is the one stretch besides the tidal portion of the river that I have yet to do. Prepare to take on one of the most challenging sections of any Pine Barrens stream. Gonna be alot of obstacles. But it is a beautiful run, I'm sure, and you will certainly not regret it should you come out of the tangles safely. I'm jealous. I've been meaning to try this for years. Good luck and take some pictures.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
whipoorbill and I did the entire great egg from new brooklyn lake down to lake lenape back in 85.the section from new brooklyn lake was horrendous.looked as if it had never been cleared.it took us all day to get from the put in to winslow williamstown road.we had left the second vehicle at piney hollow road so we had to stash the canoe and walk for the car.Apparently their was an ice storm in the 70's that had wrecked the upper portion and it had never been reclaeared.don't know if it has now or not.The next section we did was from where we stashed the canoe down to piney hollow road.we expected that to be just as bad.It was not.It had been cleared and was a nice stretch.This was whipoorbills first canoeing trip ever and he had a blast.We were out of the canoe more then in.It was october and the swamp was beautiful though the water was a bit low.I on the other hand filled the air with quite colorful language because I had canoeing experience and knew a creek was not supposed to look like this.Whip is now quite the canoe wuss that I am.If theirs more then 20 liftovers we ain't touching it.
Al

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've hiked along the section from New Brooklyn lake to Winslow Road (bush wacked) and that seemed like it would be a brutal canoe trip. Some friends and I, with our son's, did the section from Winslow Road to Piney Hollow road a few years ago. We had a chain saw, and needed it, but it is really a beautiful stream. I think it is considered a National Scenic River (not sure if this is the correct title). I also hike a lot in that area and the water seems pretty high this year.
Greg

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I haven't done above Route 54, but I imagine as others here have said its pretty bad in spots. Especially since some sections are nothing more than a creek, add in branches, and logs and you've got your work cut out for ya. Atleast the lack of leaves on the trees and brush will help somewhat. South of the route 54 bridge I have done, which can be rough too, with several portages though its passable. Once you're down to Pennypot and below it isn't bad and gets better as you get near Weymouth. Either way, it should be fun and a great day to be outside with the temperatures in the mid-upper 80s. It'll make for some good Flickr pictures too.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’m canoeing from Pennypot to Weymouth on Monday, in order to research the trip for a public trip we are leading later in the summer. I’ve never paddled above Pennypot but have heard that it isn’t for those who do not like the challenge of thick brush and portages.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
whipoorbill and I did the entire great egg from new brooklyn lake down to lake lenape back in 85.the section from new brooklyn lake was horrendous.looked as if it had never been cleared.it took us all day to get from the put in to winslow williamstown road.
Al

Seems like yesterday. What was most funny, I was loving every minute of it (we were lifting the canoe over obstacles more than paddling by a 10 to 1 ratio) while Alfie was repeatedly muttering words not fit to print. But that was back when we did crazy things.

Nothing but the beaten paths these days. :)

Have fine trips, GermanG & Kevin!

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
GEHR Kayak

Thanks for the replies everyone, although I figured not that many have done it. I checked it out with satellite photos, and on an atlas & gazetteer, and it looks like it's gonna be rough. But with the rain we had, at least the water will be high in most spots. I'm going to bring a saw and a hatchet for the small stuff, but I'm sure there are going to be a lot of full size trees over the river. Milage wise it was hard to tell how long this portion really is. With a ruler on the atlas it measured about 13 miles so I'm guessing with all the twists and turns included, it's about 17 to 20 or maybe more. It's pretty neat that route passes under so many bridges, a total of ten to be exact with two being railroad related. I'm not sure if I'm going to bring my camera, as this is going to be a crazy trip, and even though I have a wet/dry bag, I don't want to loose it or get it wet. I actually live like 3 miles from the start at New Brooklyn lake so if anyone ever wanted to go on this trip, let me know, depending on how this one goes. But I'm sure the more people that go down it, the better it will get cleared out. As I said, I have seen at least 10 carloads of people putting in at the lake so either it's not really too bad, or they just don't know. I'll give a detailed report after the trip to let others know how it went.

Kevin

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Kevin, I'd also be interested, but as of now it looks like I might be busy this weekend- maybe next time. I did want to give you a link I found though, it details going down the river, what to expect, and even mentions the teak dam just up Hospitality Creek (mentioned earlier).

http://books.google.com/books?id=KqyETR1rkZAC&printsec=frontcover#PPA139,M1

I guess I can't blame you not wanting to bring the camera, especially after reading the chapter in the link above... It should be fun though, especially around those old trestles. Hopefully the water will be high enough to make it as easier run, we did have that rain, but for the most part that’s run off already. The Drought monitor has the area listed as "abnormally dry". As for the miles, I did a quick check on some mapping software I have and came up with about 13 1/2 miles to Pennypot Park. Are you going to bring a GPS along?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Kevin, I'd also be interested, but as of now it looks like I might be busy this weekend- maybe next time. I did want to give you a link I found though, it details going down the river, what to expect, and even mentions the teak dam just up Hospitality Creek (mentioned earlier).

I guess I can't blame you not wanting to bring the camera, especially after reading the chapter in the link above... It should be fun though, especially around those old trestles. Hopefully the water will be high enough to make it as easier run, we did have that rain, but for the most part that’s run off already. The Drought monitor has the area listed as "abnormally dry". As for the miles, I did a quick check on some mapping software I have and came up with about 13 1/2 miles to Pennypot Park. Are you going to bring a GPS along?

I have the first edition of this book and didn't realize it was ever updated.let me say I have tried many of the psiible trips he has listed at the end of the book and many of them are not doable.Several are doable but very rough and at least one is quite doable and several I have never tried.perhaps when i get time I'll do a write up to save people from trying to do foolish things like ben gertlers aborted trip through the heart of the great swamp on sleeper creek which is a very nice read.I wrote him and basically let him know he was lucky to get out alive and he wrote me a humorous reply back and said he wished i could have given him advice before he tried it.he said it would have probably made him even more adamant it could be done.I guess he has a simple streak like me and Whip had back in the day.
\Al

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I have the first edition of this book and didn't realize it was ever updated.let me say I have tried many of the psiible trips he has listed at the end of the book and many of them are not doable.Several are doable but very rough and at least one is quite doable and several I have never tried.perhaps when i get time I'll do a write up to save people from trying to do foolish things like ben gertlers aborted trip through the heart of the great swamp on sleeper creek which is a very nice read.I wrote him and basically let him know he was lucky to get out alive and he wrote me a humorous reply back and said he wished i could have given him advice before he tried it.he said it would have probably made him even more adamant it could be done.I guess he has a simple streak like me and Whip had back in the day.
\Al

Haha, thats a pretty good story. Honestly, reading through the chapter available online he does question if you can even kayak from above Piney Hollow Rd. That isn't to say it can't be done though. :dance:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Haha, thats a pretty good story. Honestly, reading through the chapter available online he does question if you can even kayak from above Piney Hollow Rd. That isn't to say it can't be done though. :dance:

yes gertler basically made it down sleeper creek from 206 to westcoat bogs and then pushed into the great swamp.after a couple hours he realized his mistak and had to drag his boat back out of the swamp and at almost dark he ran into some duck hunters at wescoat bog and the gave him a ride back to 206.it's hard enough to drag your body through that swamp let alone a kayak.i had a similar experience on springer creek between hampton road and batsto river.i accidently put in the wrong creek mistaking it for batsto river when i was 14 and didn't have topo maps yet.thats is another long and tragic/funny story.
Al

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com

Thanks for the read. That story was pretty informative and was really detailed. Really gives a good idea of what I'm up against. I've been warning my friends about how hard this could end up being, but so far, all is a go. I checked the river out at most of the bridges we'll cross today, and although the bridges are probably kept clear for flooding reasons, everything looked good. I passed the Penny Pot bridge today and it was loaded with kayakers. And that dam is a neat story too Although when I checked out the dam, the teak is either buried, or removed as most of the wood looked to be newer. And that dam is probably going to give out in a couple of years... the entire middle is pushed out and breaking through. My friend rents that house from the guy that owns Pizza Palace so I was able to really check it out. Nice spot to fish though.

Kevin

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Good luck on the trip. I've done from Penny pot on down but not the upper section. Al, Gabe and I did the sleeper from the rockwood bogs almost to Wescoat without too many obsticles and it was a blast.

Have fun.

Jeff

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
The trip.

Well, two friends and myself set off at about 10:30 on Sunday to greet what would become one heck of an adventure. It was a very wild journey but as peaceful as ever. The hot weather made things a little rough, but the water was still cold, so a swim every now and then was quite welcome. The most challenging part was without a doubt the portages over the many, many logs. I actually lost track of the amount of trees we had to pull over, but it was about 12-15 before Winslow Williamstown Rd., about 12-15 between Winslow and Piney Hollow Rd., about 10 to 12 between Piney Hollow and 14th St., and another 10-15 at least from 14th street to Rt. 561 (Mays Landing Rd.) Needless to say, we got quite good at crossing over the logs after a while. And that doesn't count the logs we were able to make it under, and slide over. It was one heck of an adventure, with some beautiful scenery.

It does look like someone occasionally comes down the river (between New Brooklyn and Winlsow Rd.) to help clean it out and quite a number of small and huge trees were cut in half by a chain saw, but the cut marks looked quite old. However there was much less cleaned out from Winslow Rd. to Piney Hollow. Absolutely nothing has been cleaned out for the hour run south of Piney Hollow Rd. and some of the tree crossings in that section were quite challenging. It looked like someone who lives in the neighborhood near Collings Lakes cleared out a decent section but eventually gave up a little before the Conrail (PRSL) bridge. Things went rather smooth from the RR bridge to just south of the Rt. 54 overpass. The spillway was fun, but might be harder to do in lower water. The turns got tighter and tighter the further the river got from Rt. 54 and eventually the river split into several sections and it was really hard to tell which was the main branch. Two of us took a left segment and got hung up on several trees, small bridges, and a lot of hook briars. My friend Bill took a right segment and was greeted by a large quantity of downed trees. There was one large tree just south of where these segments meet back up that was just barely above the water, covered in briars, and in a tight corner with a swift current. If someone wasn't prepared or really weak from paddling the whole time, this spot could be a disaster. It was also very, very deep there. The left side was just barely climbable and was tricky with a kayak. The sides of the river in this section (and actually a good part of the upper river) were a dense wall of straight and hook briars so going around was not an option. There were a couple more small tree crossings before we got to the Mays Landing Rd. bridge but by that time it was almost pitch black out (9:15pm) so we left the kayaks and decided to walk down the road to get the truck. Luckily we got a lift from a nice family with a pickup and they took us down the Black Horse Pike to the Hospitality Branch Bridge where we were parked.
It was tough, challenging, but really the most adventurous trip I have ever been on in a river in South Jersey. I took a saw and cut a few limbs here and there to make things easier for the next run, but there is still a lot blocking the way. I would be down to do it again, but my arms are definitely going to have to rest for a while. Feel free to ask any questions about this trip, as there was a lot to explain, and I'm sure I forgot some things.

Kevin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great report! Did you find anything unusual or special?

Guy