Knock knock

Knock knock

Who's there

Nobody!

:cry:

What's up with this site? This format is far superior to Yahoo Groups. It's faster and easier to navigate. I grow older waiting for pages to load on Yahoo and I'm using broadband! Is there anything that can be done to get more action here?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

The snow has been keeping many people out of the pines recently, so the posts have been light. I know in my case once I return to the pines I will have photo's and other items to post. Hopefully that will occur with others.

Since you have a GPS, have you ever searched out NGS benchmarks in the pines, or for that matter in your home area?

Atsion

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/ATSION_JU2992-1.jpg

Jersey Central RR Bridge

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/3L1_AB6682_3E.jpg

There are a few in Merchantville but they are not markers like these.

Also, what area of the pines do you like to travel in the most?

Guy

TeeGate said:
Also, what area of the pines do you like to travel in the most?

Guy

Guy, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just itching for info. :D

As far as which area I travel: Recently it has been Wharton S.F. There seems to be a lot more interesting places than the Lebanon/Greenwood area. I do still enjoy going into Greenwood W.M.A. though. I like going to Forked River Mountain also. One of these days I've got to get to Double Trouble. I've never been there and I don't know how extensive the fire damage is.
One of these days I'd like to visit Joe Mulliner's grave. My wife, who thinks I'm nuts for all the time I spend in the Pines, was looking through 'Iron in the Pines' and yelled out "Joe Mulliner is my Great(x4)Uncle!" Turns out her Great(x4) Grandmother, Rebecca Mulliner Gaunt, was Joe's sister. Also Ann Ridgway, the Quaker preacher mentioned in 'Jersey Genesis', is her Great(x6) Grandmother. I'm married to a piney!!!! LOL
Another interesting note. Ann Ridgway Gaunt's brother married Mary Ong. All this and my wife still has no interest in the Pines. She has agreed however, when the weather is better, to go looking for graves.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I camped for years at the Forked River Mountains in the 70's. That was before the sand company built many of the wide roads in the area, and when the Cedar Bridge fire tower was at it's old location. I enjoyed that area.

Have you been to the grave of Charles Wills near Eagle?

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4401297&e=537063&s=25&u=2

The GPS coordinates are approximately :

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BEHR655 said:
What's up with this site? This format is far superior to Yahoo Groups. It's faster and easier to navigate. I grow older waiting for pages to load on Yahoo and I'm using broadband! Is there anything that can be done to get more action here?

I had been wondering that same thing for the last few days. I personally like the way the site works vs. Yahoo groups, and I offer all of the features without the BS of getting spammed or having to deal with advertisements.

I should have a new, much more powerful server in about a week or so that I will be moving the site over to. This will about double the space available for pictures, etc. and make the site even faster.

I've tried to make this site the best place to go for information on the Pine Barrens. If there are any features you want to see, let me know and I will try to implement them.

Guy is also right about the weather being a factor in keeping people out of the pines. I for one have only made one trip out since the blizzard and even that was rough going in my Cherokee.

J

JeffD

Steve, I visited Double Trouble earlier this winter, and didn't notice any damage from the fire. I had a good visit, in spite of the cold windy weather. The thick stands of cedars in places shielded me from the cold wind. You may want to check out my post about my visit to Double Trouble. I believe it is on the RECREATION forum.

Jeff