Lakehurst Naval Air Station Tours?

Anyone every toured the Lakehurst Naval Air Station? Stumbled across the fact that they offer tours:
http://www.nlhs.com/nlhstours.htm

They offer group tours to the Hindenburg crash site. Website looks a little old in construction, but the link on the official McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst website still points there.

Would there be any interest in getting a group together? 2nd Saturday of the month in March, then 2nd and 4th Saturdays from April to October. Looks like everything has to be set two weeks in advance. I've got a baby coming the beginning of May (and the last one showed up three weeks ahead of time), so...

Saturday, March 8 would work (although we'd have to have it set by the end of this week to meet the deadline).

Or Saturday, June 14 at 9 AM is the go time...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Anyone every toured the Lakehurst Naval Air Station?

When I used to hunt on the base courtesy of the base hunting club, they offered a tour one year which I went on, but this was before the increased security now in effect. Used to pass the sites on the way to the hunting areas, had more freedom on base back then. Interesting and well worth the time. They did an excellent job. Another good place to visit is the Cathedral of the Air, next door and not on govt property.

E-mailed and got some information back. There is no group minimum or maximum, and no cost, they ask for a donation. They want a list ahead of time, national security rules and all.

I'm happy to organize a group for Saturday, June 14. Just post on the thread if you might be interested, and we can make it official down the line.

Alright, got all the paperwork for this that I need to fill out. Have a group of about 15 so far (mixed group of family, friends, exploring buddies, and some Boy Scouts), very happy to have more along. Tour starts at 9:30 AM on June 14. Latest I can turn it in is June 3, but I'll probably do it end of May. $5 donation per person seems reasonable (you can hand it directly to them that day, I don't want to keep track of any money). Let me know if you want to go! Bring family/friends/kids/local politicians, all are welcome! Well, maybe not the politicians.

Reactions: Ben Ruset
Took a while to get around to looking at my pictures, the usual end of the school year craziness. However, the June 14th trip to Lakehurst was excellent! Perfect weather and a nice bright day for pictures.

The tour meets up at the Cathedral of the Air outside of the base proper. The paperwork and such is dealt with there (mostly car passes) before they take you inside to explore the church. The highlights for me were the amazing aviation themed stain glass windows and the memorials to the US military airships that are in the front room of the church. Seeing the church alone was worth making the drive.

hb01.jpg
hb02.jpg
After the church, you drive into the air base itself to see the crash site. The tour director gives a talk there (ours was about 25 minutes or so), after which people take pictures. You meet up at the memorial, which is laid out in the shape of the command capsule of the ship. The talk goes through the history of airships and breaks down what went wrong, including passing some old pictures around. One of the fellows from the Historical Society had, as a child, seen the Hindenburg flying around over his house the day of the disaster, which was pretty neat. They also talk about the aftermath. This part of the tour was, by far, the best part. The only thing that would be great is if they would mark out on the ground approximately where each end of the Hindenburg was when it crashed. I only realized after I got home that it must have covered nearly the entire field we were in, that perspective would be nice.

hb03.jpg
View of the field from the memorial. You can just barely see the stub of where the tower was in the famous pictures and video footage (about halfway between the tower and the row of closer trees). I hadn't realized how far the ship was from the tower when it went down, the perspective is distorted in all the pictures.

hb05.jpg
Memorial on the ground. Again, this is the size and location of the command part of the ship.
hb04.jpg
Next up, the hangar. The two on the right were not there at the time of the accident.

After the crash site, you drive to the airship hangar. The group first goes into the tiny airship museum/gift shop. This place is tiny, yet it is absolutely crammed floor to ceiling with memorabilia from the zeppelins and the US Naval airships. Because I had a toddler, this part of the tour became too long. The information was fascinating and the guides were amazingly knowledgeable, but more time was spent here than out at the actual disaster site. Eventually, I had to walk the kid out because he was getting in the way.

hb06.jpg
Piece of the Hindenburg.

While the kid was outside yelling that he wanted to go back in (his Uncle was in there, who he adores), one of the guides who had seen us walk out, upset toddler in tow, came out to find me and offered to take us into the hangar early so that he could run around, which was really, really nice of him. I grabbed his Uncle (so the kid would be happy) and we headed into the hangar. Two things about the hangar - 1) it is so ridiculously big that I couldn't wrap my head around just how big that it was and 2) the US Navy's only remaining airship was in the hangar that day, because they are working on the engines. Now this airship was pretty darn big, but it looked like a toy in a hangar that size.

hb07.jpg
Our group caught up with us there, which was fine, I was happy to spend more time checking this place out.
hb08.jpg
Group shot - we had 13 folks with us, mostly family and folks I know from Scouts. Yes, even my two month old came along (he wasn't impressed, he slept through most of it). The total group that day was around 40, there was a group of 20 from a local men's group. The tours are almost never this big we were told. Fun fact - front to back, the Hindenburg had 18 inches of clearance on each end of the hangar. 18 inches!!!

We finished up our tour with a close look out the massive sliding outside doors (last opened in the 1980s - they take 7 hours to open fully) and a look through a small veteran's museum in the hangar which consisted mostly of old uniforms and tons and tons of intricate military models, which my 2 year old loved best of the whole tour. Overall, it took about 2 1/2 hours.

hb09.jpg
Overall, it was an excellent tour, all completely free (but make sure to make a donation to the Lakehurst Naval Air Station Historical Society who conducts the tours and keeps the museum open). Lots of great books in the gift shop on air ships.

Tours are the second and forth Saturdays of the month at 9:30 - 12:00 and are some Wednesdays as well.

See http://www.nlhs.com/take-a-tour.html for more info on tours.

Afterwards we went to the Lakehurst Diner, which was not very good but did have a burger called "The Blimp". Rumor is you can only get it well done (ba dum crash).

Then the wife and kids and I went to Collier's Mill because I recently bought Whispers in the Pines (nice intro Ben) and wanted to check it out. Overall, a great day out!
hb10.jpg

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Thank you Mike for a very well reported tour and great pictures.
As a kid in The Bronx I saw the Hindenburg on its way to Lakehurst (where my father served in the Chemical Corps, USA in WW1) on its last trip.
Your report makes me sure Ro & I gotta take the tour......