Landing Gear

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the landing gear at Bear Swamp Hill early Sunday morning but did not stay long because Jessica wasn't feeling well. I did get another photo to compare to the one I took back around 1975 or so.

1970s_1:29:2023.jpg

trop81

Scout
Mar 17, 2011
hammonton nj
Not sure if this is the same part as above. these pics are from 2020. I recently visited again and could not find them . cant believe someone would take a big part like this IMG_20200112_140909.jpgIMG_20200112_140944.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not sure if this is the same part as above. these pics are from 2020. I recently visited again and could not find them . cant believe someone would take a big part like this
Yes, your photos show the speed brake.

The speed brake is the very back of the engine where the flame comes out. Basically, they open them to slow and close them to make the exhaust hole smaller to get more thrust. Just like an air hose or garden hose. At least that is what I have been told. You would think it would melt.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The speed brake is the very back of the engine where the flame comes out. Basically, they open them to slow and close them to make the exhaust hole smaller to get more thrust.

That doesn't sound right to me. I think it is basically a sort of "flap" on the wings or possibly tail, which is what the photos by @trop81 and @ecampbell look like.

There's also something called a "thrust reverser" that might be more like what you describe, you can hear it when they cut in immediately after the plane lands.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Is the Speed Brake gone? I picked it up once,not heavy at all.Anyone could walk off with it.Now the Landing gear is another matter.Someone long ago cut a pice of the tire out of that,Never understood that mentality.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Pretty sad if it was "stolen." I aways thought how special it was that 50 years of Pine Barrens enthusiasts left the plane wreckage alone for future generations to explore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When I first learned of the "speed brake" I asked around online to groups who should know and they told me by looking at it that it was the speed brake. Looking now online I see that a speed brake is a fuselage mounted panel that when selected by the pilot lowers to produce drag.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is interesting. I think the plane was an F-105, wasn't it? Here's a photo of the speed brakes on that plane. I can see how somebody might have the impression that its purpose was to constrict the exhaust. But, as you say, the real purpose is to create drag when it is opened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/2nrbqs

It still is at the exhaust and you would figure an aluminum piece like that would melt.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
If anyone is interested in checking out the landing gear now is a good time. The recent burn cleared all the brush from the top of the hill to the very edge of the swamp. It is easy walking with no underbrush or briars to tear you apart. I am not sure exactly when they burned it, but there were logs that were still smoderling with visable smoke. I checked out the area and found a few old deer stands and some Shlitz beer cans here and there.

Reactions: Teegate